a v6 halfton 4x4 chevy?

Hey all

I was wondering if anyone out here has seen or driven a 1500 silverado (99-up) with the 4.3 liter v6, or if they even put it in a 4x4? does it get good gas mileage? i thought they might make one, but i wasn't sure if it could come with an automatic tranny..or they were just work truck manuals..

thanks all

TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

I just test drove an 04 Silverado & an 04 GMC Sierra both standard & automatic.

Both trucks had the V6 motor. The Chevy Silverado with the automatic transmission had 3.73 rear end gears & accelerated off the stop lights better that the standard transmission GMC sierra with 3.42 gears.

I thought the GMC was going to feel more torquey because of it's standard transmission.

Instead it felt more sluggish than the auto Silverado. I think the GMC would of had the

torquey feeling I expected it to if the truck would of had 4.10 gears in the rear end. But then again the Automatic Silverado would have also accelerated better off the light had it had the 4.10 gears also.

The shifter of the GMC was kind of way out there as in not close to your leg pressing the gas pedal, & even far away from your right arm which is supposed to do the shifting in a standard transmission.

Overall I liked the Chevy Silverado which came with the automatic transmission. All you had to do was put the truck in drive and step on the gas.

Yes, you can get these trucks in 4x4. In fact, the cheapest truck you can buy in a 4x4 Silverado will come with a V6 & a 5 speed standard transmission. I recommend 4.10 gears whether the truck is standard or automatic, because you'll get more torque for off roading pulling & stop & go traffic, being that you are running a V6 motor on a full sized half ton truck.

As for gas mileage compared to a V8 you will be minus 2 cylinders which should equal better mileage on the condition that you dont have massive hills to climb every day.

If that were the case, you might find yourself flooring the gas with the V6 to climb a steep interstate hill, as to where a V8 motor might do the same job at quarter throttle thus saving you gas.

If where you live is fairly flat, the V6 should get better miles to the gallon than a V8.

Josh

Josh Jona Rael