aftermarket vs gm

we recently were in a crash with our 99 jimmy, the insurance company is fixing the truck with mostly aftermarket parts, some are GM parts, what is
the quality of aftermarket parts?
best bet would be to insist on gm parts, better fit and finish, same rust protection as the rest of the truck

they claim that these parts have a lifetime rust free warranty, thats if it NEVER gets scratched or dented, but whats the odds of that happening?

is
Adam wrote:

Most GM part are made in the aftermarket anyway and GM buys them and puts their stamp on them. The days of GM making most of its parts in house are long gone.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
Adam wrote:

    I would ask them to use used GM parts from a salvage yard if they can't buy new GM parts. Any Part that carries the 'CAPA' garentee label is predy much made over seas.
    I remember one time we got a S-10 fender with that 'CAPA' label. Frigging thing was 2 inches short! The entire shipment 4 retailers recived of 82 to 92 S-10 Fenders were all 2 Inches short. Which predy much means the die being used to stamp th fenders was so worn out, and had been dressed so many times there is no way in hell it could make a part of the right dimentions. Supposedly they inspect those parts they label with the 'CAPA' decal.
    When it comes to older cars, the over seas made after market body parts are not even the same gauge of metal. They are the same thin gauge as the rest of the junk they make over seas.
    When ever you can insist the replacement parts used on your vehicle are atleast made in north america (canda-us-mexico), or opt for used GM body paniels from a salvage yard. Charles
You don't have to accept aftermarket parts well in north Carolina you don't. If you tell them you want original oem parts they have to put on oem parts.

i am in n.c a few yrs back a friend had a wreck with his 96 s-10. he said he wanted gm parts used, they told him because his truck had over 100k miles, if he wanted gm parts he would have to pay the difference. sounded kind of funny to me.
I think they was finding the cheap way out.I have a buddy that works at a well known body shop here in the piedmont area and they want put any thing on but oem parts unless the owner absolute wants aftermarket parts. My suburban got stolen back in April it had around 112000 miles on it they had to winch it out of some woods done around $5000 worth of damage and all the replacement parts was oem that went back on it right from the gmc place.I have been told buy a few body shops that they have to put oem parts on if you insist on it. Luckily my insherence company has never given me any problems about this.Just my 2 mirrors cost over a $1000 bucks what a rip off.But I believe you could call the insherance commission and find out a deafenant answer.

I work in the Automotive industry supplying parts to the big three. We just about jump through hoops keeping the customers happy. These guys are incredibly strict about the tolerances they will allow us in our die casting and machining facilities, when I look at the quality they demand from us, I wouldn't buy aftermarket.
Just my two cents worth.
Blair