Alternator problem

Got a humming/whining noice from my 95 Blazer when i accelerate. Local mechanic used a stetoscop on the alternator blaming it to be a bearing.

What should I do about this? Replace the thing? Get it repaired or just drive on and see what happans?

Is this a normal problem? Milage is about 100k miles.

Reply to
VLH

Yes, normal service life of an alternator. (100k is pretty good) Eventually the bearing will fail (stranding you?). I would get a replacement. For your year I believe rebuilt is the only option, Unless you can wait for the rebuilder to do the one you have.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

For your year I

the one you have.

I'll agree, 113K was the life for the one in my 94 Jimmy. Rebuilt was the solution, cost $130 after getting the core charge back at Advance Auto.

Reply to
Mike Levy

RE/

ASAP.

My alternator failures have been ugly events. The alt dies, the engine sucks the battery dry, then all systems go down hard - the steering gets weird, no engine, no brake lites, no signals, no headlights, no nothing.....extremely disconcerting when it happens in the middle lane of I-95 ... dangerous, even...

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Thanx for all advice! Will get the thing replaced ASAP.

A couple of weeks ago i installed a extra amp for my stereo. Nothing extreme, just a ordinary amp. I also had to replace the batteryconnector with a standard matching bolt og connect my positive cable to the battery. As far as I can judge the connection is fine.

Could this in any way be related to my failing alternator? What do you guys do when you have to connect a extra cable to the battery?

Reply to
VLH

You have a mechanical failure, not related.

Use the underhood fuse center for your takeoffs. That is what it is for.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Thougt about that but was recomended to connect directly to the battery becuase of noise problems.....

Reply to
VLH

If the bearing locks up it'll smoke the belt and when it goes? you can end up with a lot more problems and possibly be stranded. most of the time the same belt drives your water pump. just get another AC-Delco GM alternator and be on the safe side.

Reply to
jimauto