Any real difference between 'GMC' and 'CHEV' name cargo vans ??

In light duty trucks from 1967 up Chevy & GMC have pretty much been identical. Light duty being all trucks up to a C-40/C-45. The 67 to 72 body style the GMC's came with more options as stanard equpiment. GMC did have a few GMC only things in those years, but not that much. 73 to 87 Trucks are pretty much trim & grills, plus GMC stamped on tailgates. 88 up C/K trucks the differances are even less.

GMC's may have different Options Packages compaired a Chevy. Such as my buddies 71 3/4 ton 4x4. 307 V8, 3+Low (granny gear) transmission. Power Disk Brakes, 1 ton axles (factory installed), factory wood floor bed. Most Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4's of that year would have had front Drum Brakes, and lighter duty axles (3/4 ton), as well as a metal bed floor.

When you get in to medium duty trucks from the 50's to the 80's they were more differances between the brands. Although I have seen 50's &

60's Chevy Medium Duties with the GMC 305 V6. That's not a Type-o. They made a Medium Duty ONLY 305 V6! It's a Gasoline engine. Next to impossible to find parts for. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig

I remeber in about 54 or 55 GMC had a v-6 for pickups whereas Chev still used the stove bolt 6. But in those days many GM divisions had their own engines and transmissions. look at the Chev, Buick and Oldsmobile

350 V-8s.
Reply to
Mike Powers

Devisional engines became 'corperate engines' in the late 70's. Firebirds could be ordered with a 4.9L Pontiac 301, a Chevy 305, a Olds

350 (1976-1977 Only) or a Olds 403. In the 80's a Buick Regal either came with a buick 3.8 or a Olds 307.

My 1979 Buick Lesabra 2dr HT, had a pontiac 301 in it.

The engines that survived the FWD transission went to what we call engine families. Shuch as a 3.3,3.8,4.0 V6 are buick V6's. 2.8,3.1,3.4 V6's are Chevy engines. Olds had a 3.5l V6 and the aroura V8 untill GM killed that devision. Caddilac while in the 80's starting using olds engines after their 4100 problems. I junked a 88 Fullsize RWD Caddy that had a olds 307 in it. Yet after that they went back to caddilac engines.

Devisions like Saturn have their own drivelines. All Truck Devisions use Corperate Truck Engines. When you get in to medium duty you can get a Catapiller Diesel. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig