Axle shims?

Greetings,

Mine is an 88 4WD S10 Blazer, 2.8L.

Serious rumble/rattle/clunk in the rear appears to be the passenger side axle has too much slop in it, at least relative to what I would expect to find, and also more than the driver's side. Hard to measure, but perhaps it moves in an out about 1/8 inch. Either way, it seems excessive and seems to cause the noise when rolling down the street.

I am not that well versed in the differential, so I am wondering how to take up this slack. Can the axle be shimmed at the clamp where it is held to the pinion gear? Can't think of anything else that might fix this, so any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for your time and consideration.

John

Reply to
singlewc

wrote

It's not that abnormal to have a fair bit of play in these axles.

There are three areas that could have excessive wear. The pinion shaft might be worn from the end of the axle, the c-clip that holds the axle in place might be worn, and the axle itself (the groove that the c-clip rides in) might be worn. One thing you could do is remove the c-clip and see if it is worn....if so, flip it around as it wears at different places on either side. This might take up a bit of the slack. If you happen to pull it apart and see no discernible wear, stick it back together and drive the thing. It's very unlikely that the noise you are hearing is because the axle is moving in and out.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks for the advice. The noise is a rhythmic clunk that goes with the speed. I can stop it by applying the brakes slightly, and it also stops when going around a corner. I would be very happy to not have the source be the play in the axle :) but that is about all I can find back there that might make such a noise. Especially when I can stop the noise with slight pressure on the brakes. I am likely overlooking something, but so far nothing sees apparent.

Much obliged for your time and your insight.

John

Reply to
mountains

U-joints.....?

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Ahhhh, good one. Something to do this weekend :-)

Thanks,

John

Reply to
singlewc

has a review about some 'revolutionary' u-joints. They look awesome for extreme usage, but I wonder if they would run longer then normal ones? Either way they are easy to replace and at $13.00 a piece for "brute force" ones it's a no-brainer...

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ