rear axle problem? could anyone help?

i have an 87 s10 blazer 4x4, i was changed the ring gear a while back, today i removed the passenger axle, and went to put ot back in, and it wont slide in all the way...any help? the c lock is out...i dont know.

Reply to
jsmith564

Shep

That would be my guess too. Not hard to "fix" though.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Exactly what are you saying? The axle gear moved? My first question would be is the differential limited slip?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Reply to
Shep

Move around how? Are you saying the pinion gears fell out and the axle gear moved in? A G80 is limited slip, right? Try not to confuse me, I'm old.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

They are not a precison fit it there (a bit sloppy) and when the axle and clip is out, the only thing kinda holding them there (especailly a open diff) is the the spider gears and add a little wear and extra slop and they can get out of alignment with axle shaft when you try to slide it back in.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Ah, I wouldn't worry about it Al. You aren't the one that is confused!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks. I've worked on read ends for about 45 years now and thought I missed something.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Reply to
Shep

Yes, Shep....but even on an open diff, I can't see the original poster not being able to figure out that a side gear has popped out far enough so that he can't get the axle back in. I mean, the spider gears would have to fall right out before the side gears would come out of the diff housing. As far as Snoman thinking that there would be enough play "within" the housing so that the side gear could c*ck enough to keep the axle from being installed...this is nothing more then typical bullshit from him.

I mean....Snoman is the guy that believes you "should" retorque "torque to yield" head bolts....."just to be sure".

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Shep

Very true, which is why there are a lot of posts that I simply do not reply to as I would not be able to give a good, useful answer to the question.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

the axle shaft is splined and so is the side gear did you try turning it some as you push in on the axle I am a ASE Master tech and no the side gear if it had enough slop to slide down so the axle could not be installed it would have to be falling apart

Reply to
brian70