before i slap on the new fly wheel...

long story short i was having trouble with my 76 chevy 350 not turning over and have found out that my fly wheel has some teeth broken off of them so before i replace the flywheel and all, was wondering if there were any other reasons or suggestion of why my starter would be eating my flywheel up like cereal. starter has been checked and is good. how probable is it that the shims, as thin as they are could be the problem? any suggestion? the teeth follow a pattern mostly broke about 1/8 inch into them and only 3/4 the width across. should the pinion be engaging over the whole tooth? looks to me like it only makes contact with 3/4s of the width of the teeth. thanks James

Reply to
Jamie

You should probably see about getting a proper gap-checking gauge for your starter and properly shimming it.

Sam

Reply to
GaWd