Black Box

Is there any tool that can be plugged into the data port of an '02 tahoe that will record trip information? some sorry ass woman rear ended me today. cops won't come unless the vehicle is unmovable so its my word against hers. anyway, i was hoping there was something i could plug in that would record collision sensor or other real-time data for download to a pc. any thoughts?

thanks.

Reply to
Texas Legend

Yea actually there is...the computer that controls the air bags is supposed to record the last 5 seconds before a collision. I don't know if it detects g-forces but it should record speed, throttle position, braking effort and so on. You should talk to you dealer and don't drive it, if you run it after the collision the data will be erased. With that being said if you talk to your insurance company I bet they will give blame for the accident to the person who did the rear-ending... The effort to download the data may not be necessary. good luck, a month ago a guy in NJ hit us head on at

60mph. He hit us with enough force to spin us 180deg in the highway. Each time we explained the accident we had to draw a diagram because nobody would believe somebody would be that stupid...... For the insurance company it was a no brainier and they did not even want picture of my truck. A description of the accident was enough.

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor

Reply to
calhoun

I thought cops had to arrive at the scene if estimated damage was over $1,000. You're required to report any accident causing that much damage ot at least one vehicle involved. I'd want a report from local authorities for any vehicle accident, just like the OP wants....

Reply to
Mike Levy

not in dallas. only in the case of injury or disabled vehicle. your tax dollars hard at work!!!!!

thanks.

Reply to
Texas Legend

hey rock.....was this a response? what does it mean? X-No-Archive: yes

thanks.

Reply to
Texas Aggie

Reply to
sidewinder

Ok, a little research and this is what I've found. The information is in the SDM (Senor & Diagnostic Module) for 260 ignition cycles. Basically all the stuff Rock_Doctor was talking about is still available. (Thanks) However, there is only one way to get that information out and it is with a Vetronix CDR module and laptop. Dealers are not required to have one, nor insurance companies, nor police. My point is, if you aren't required to purchase an expensive, rarely used device would you? Long story short...I'm having trouble finding someone in the D/FW metorplex with a Vetronix CDR module. Can anyone here help?

peace and chicken grease.

My 2001 Chevy Tahoe was recently in an accident. I am looking for some person or company in the Dallas, TX area that can read the data from SDM (Senor & Diagnostic Module). The SDM is part of the airbag system which caputres data just proir to airbag deployment.

The SDM can only be read by a Vetronix CDR module and laptop. Niether the local police or Chevy dealers have this capability. If you know of anyone in the Dallas area, please let me know.

Reply to
Texas Aggie