Software program

I'm wanting a program I can load to my laptop to read the data stream/parameters on an OBD 1 system. Not a Ford but a mid-80s Cadillac. No help from the GM groups about OBD 1 programs. Maybe someone here knows? Thanks

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

They may exsist for that old of vehcile but I personally know of none. The ones I know about are OBD2.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

There isn't anything. Prior to the OBDII system there were no significant parameters required to be available to diagnosticians other than the trouble codes. Each auto maker added some basic functionality as they saw fit (i.e. the EEC-IV can do a cylinder balance test).

This is what created the terribly expensive Scan Tool market, as each player in the market had to work with each auto company to negotiate for information on how to utilize functionality available within their diagnostic connectors. The one I've seen most people looking for on ebay lately is the Snap On MT2500 scan tool. The Ford program and key for this tool will give you access to quite a bit of data through the OBDI port. Not sure how useful such things are for GM.

I am unaware of any, i.e. zero, software products that will let you plug your PC into a OBD1 car and do anything with it. Not only was there no standardization from automakers on the data available, but there was no standardization on the connectors, the electrical properties, or the method to communicate. Thus most Scan Tools also come with a bunch of different connectors so they can talk to the various different car implementations.

Reply to
Mike H

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:01:07 -0500, putt rearranged some electrons to form:

OBD1 doesn't provide a data stream.

Reply to
David M

Sorry to hear that as my OTC OBD1 scanner reads them:) Shows any four readings you select at the same time. Shows battery temp., voltage, injector pulse width, road speed, spark advance, O2 sensor, engine RPM and so on. It also emulates a Ford Star system reader, what ever that is:)

I suggest he does some net searching. I found this in a minute:

Al

Reply to
Big Al

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:00:55 -0700, Big Al rearranged some electrons to form:

Are you sure you get a data stream from EEC-IV? I read several things that said otherwise. GM, Jeep, & Chrysler provided one, but not Ford.

OBDI wasn't standardized like OBDII is.

Reply to
David M

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:01:07 -0500, putt rearranged some electrons to form:

Try this:

David M

Thanks for the help. The system on the car is high-end state of the art for the time. It may have originally came from the Corvette racing part of GM. I can read all the parameters, ECM/BCM codes, perform switch tests and some other function tests, but all the info is displayed on the dash info panels. Kind of a pita to jump in/out of the car, so I was thinking there must be some software program to use a remote display monitor. With the scanner already built into the system I figured I'd need the connecting cable and program. Thanks again, I'll take it from here. Ford people are just nicer/smarter than gm people, but I love this car.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

On Jul 26, 4:30 am, David M wrote: ...

The EEC-IV gained information it could send with the least available prior to 1990, and the most available after 1990. You will notice this with some of the aftermarket control systems that use the diagnostic port on the EEC-IV to run different programs. On older EEC- IV's, there is simply some information you can't change because it didn't exist in any memory address.

Reply to
Mike H

He has a Cadillac! :)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:12:50 -0700, Big Al rearranged some electrons to form:

Yeah, I finally figured that out. :-)

Reply to
David M

So far with the OTC code reader, Chrysler cars give the most information. I've dummied up the O2 sensor on a Dodge truck and varied the voltage and watched the injector pulse width change. Drove the truck and varied the ECM full rich to full lean. Quite a change in the engine. Pinged really bad at full lean.

Used a 1.5 volt AA cell and a pot to dummy the O2 signal and found out the ECM supplies current to the O2 sensor. Didn't expect that. My guess it's to drive the sensor full rich if it opens or someone unplugs it. Full rich is not a good place as that drives the injector map to full lean. And, the ECM does not set the CEL lamp, but it does store the Too Rich code. Does the same thing for an out of range temperature sensor, no CEL, stores Too Cold.

Al

Reply to
Big Al