Blazer Silverado

I am looking a Blazer Silverado 4x4 5.7L 1994 and 85000 miles with automatic transmition. Can any one tell me about this truck? Problems or anything to have in mind before i pay for it? Thanks in advance. CLT.

Reply to
CLT

In 1994 the full sized SUV from Chevy was called the Blazer which was later changed to Tahoe to differentiate it from the S-10 Blazer. The term Silverado is the trim level (highest). '93 or '94 was the first model year for this truck, but since it was based on the C/K series pick-ups which had been around since 1988 then a lot of the problems had already been worked out. You could get this truck with either a 4.3L V-6, 5.0L or 5.7L V-8 with the 5.7L being the most popular. The transmission was the THM700R4 (later known as the 4L60E) and is a good, reliable unit. I owned both a 1988 and

1995 C1500 trucks and as with any vehicles that are getting old there are all sorts of routine mechanical and maintenance stuff that starts to pop up. 1994 was the last year that Chevy used throttle body fuel injection, and in 1995 they reworked the 5.7L motor to the Vortec configuration. For the '94 version, you will have to watch for simple things like a leaky TBI base gasket, worn out/dirty IAC valve (both can cause high idle), and all the routine regular maintenance items like plugs and filters etc.

You are going to have to get someone else to tell you about the 4-wheel drive system as I only owned 2wd trucks.

Good luck - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

My opinion of the 700R4 is that it is the most unreliable transmission after pulling with it.

Reply to
Adam Frazier

I've got a 92 with 181,000 on it. solid transmition, lots of power, and I can get 16 mph out of it if i stay away from the mud and 4x4 ( not that good at doing it however ), I get about 14.5 to 15 mph average driving 50 miles to and from work. I'm extremely happy about mine, and would buy another if I needed to, I have the 5.7L V8.

Reply to
mudmonkey

I own a 1994 Silverado with a 5.7,4x4. I have towed my boat for 10 years with no problems.I have a 130,000 miles on my Truck. Changed oil every 3,000 miles and always did all maintenance.She burns no oil and runs like a champ. I live in a very cold and snowy region.I use my 4x4 all winter,had no problems .

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I`m gonna have to disagree about the 700R4 tranny being bad. I had a 89' Jimmy 5.7 pulled about 5000lbs every other week for 4 years. Never had a problem.Changed fluid and filter once a year.Sold it with

155,000 miles. Decided to upgrade and bought a '97 Z71. Transmission went out at 72,000 miles. Maybe it`s the newer things get,the more shitty they get.
Reply to
Bill

CLT,

Try this forum, join and do a search for your vehicle:

BB

Reply to
BillieBaby

Hello Mat,