Cant decide if truck wants to shift into overdrive or not

When I am driving I approach a hill and with steady pressure on the gas pedal when I start to rise up the hill my truck feels like it is trying to kick into overdrive and then decides that it does not want to and kicks back out. It only does this when I am going up a hill. I just bought the truck and I think the guy put a shift kit in it because that is what it feels like. I did not know if this was the problem or what but it is really annoying. I was wondering if anyone out there has ever had this problem or know what it might be. It also doesnt do it all of the time just whenever it wants to I guess. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Reply to
tarhills660

Chevy automatics can never decide what gear to be in. Stomp on your gas really hard, it will drop down about 7 gears too many, pop back up, and go from there....

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Thanks gremlin I tried that and it didnt work. I have talked to a few people and they have said it could be one of two things. 1. It could be a transmission sensor or 2. It could be that the transmission needs to be flushed out because maybe all of the junk in the transmission could be flushed around due to when I was trying to pull someone out of the mud. The guy who told me this said that possibly all the junk in the transmission was just broke loose when I was trying to pull my friend out of the mud. Possibility? I dont know for sure.

Reply to
tarhills660

Your buddy needs a lesson in transmission internals. Your transmission has a filter which prevents material from being sucked out of the pan in the oil feed circuit. If your tranny was full of "junk" the worst that could happen would be a plugged filter and your tranny wouldn't work at all, not just have trouble in OD.

I need to know the year, model and mileage of your truck. Assuming you have a 4-speed transmission, are you sure you're not just feeling and hearing the torque convertor unlocking and locking?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

good grief

for starters:

YEAR ? ENGINE ? 2WD or 4WD ? MILES ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Hey Doc;

EVERYBODY has a cousin / uncle / buddy / guy he went to school with / friend who works in a dealership-repair shop-parts store / pal who read all about it on the internet .............all of whom knows EXACTLY what the problem is

Transurgeons's First Law: Not knowing the year / miles / engine makes it pretty damned hard to even form an opinion Transurgeons Second Law : Without a scan for codes / pressure test / road test it's anyone's guess what the problem is Transurgeon's Third Law: There is NOTHING worse than a customer entering the shop clutching a wad of printer paper.........

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Ok here is some more iformation on the truck. It is a 96 Chevrolet k1500

4x4 with about 112,000 miles on it. Sorry for not saying that befor but it just kinda slipped my mind. The main thing I am concerned about is what is it and did I do it when I was trying to pull my friend out. I have talked to a couple different people and everyone is telling different thing. torque converter, Trans sensor, need transmision flush, Bad transmission and so on. Who knows??? I sure dont. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply to
tarhills660

Ok here is some more iformation on the truck. It is a 96 Chevrolet k1500

4x4 with about 112,000 miles on it. Sorry for not saying that befor but it just kinda slipped my mind. The main thing I am concerned about is what is it and did I do it when I was trying to pull my friend out. I have talked to a couple different people and everyone is telling different thing. torque converter, Trans sensor, need transmision flush, Bad transmission and so on. Who knows??? I sure dont. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply to
tarhills660

It is also a 5.7L engine the vortec V8

Reply to
tarhills660

Ah yes, the ever-present know-it-all. He or she knows EXACTLY what's wrong, but hasn't a clue how to fix it!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Unless it's cash. Remo

Reply to
Remo

OK, the first thing to do is decide whether or not it is shifting in and out of 4th or in and out of lock-up

watch your RPM's.......in and out of 4th will cause the RPM to change by 30 % as it goes into 4th .........3000 to 2100 and back and forth

in and out of lock-up will cause an RPM change of about 3-400 max..........say from 3000 to 2700 etc.

there is no 'transmission sensor' on your vehicle unless you want to consider the manual lever position switch, which seldom go bad on GM's; or the internal pressure manifold switch, again they seldom go bad

the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is on transfer case on yours

Reply to
TranSurgeon