Chev 1989 4x4 heater core hose connections ?

An aftermarket thermostat will act like that within short order. My experience is "Buy cheap, buy twice". An OEM thermostat will run only about twice as much as the el-cheapo brand but it will last at least three times as long and the heater will smoke the hair right off your legs in the bargain. I live in Northwestern Ontario where it gets pretty cold sometimes.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

I took that silicone fan off and fired it onto the bush where it belongs. Now I have a flex fan that is directly coupled and my heater works fine. What did people do way back before that clutch fan nonsense became the standard?

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

We didnot Need one !! That was Before They relized that The Fan Actually got in the Way of The cooling systen after 60 MPH !! It actually Blocked Fresh air from coming thru the Rad fins. My Family OWNED a LARGE Salvage Yard From 1944 till 1974.. and we sold it,, it is still in operattion today.. And Back in the 50's cars with 40,000 miles were real Rare. The engine wud blow around 35,000 ( OIL Burner) When we Disassembled the engines for the Cast and aluminum pistons, We noticed that Engines that used Pennsoil and Shell X-100 oil were gummed up the most.. ( Pennsoil was the worst) Standard permalube engines were the Cleanest followed By Quakerstate. Valveoleen was clean also.

As you can see we NEVER used Shell or Pennsoil in any of our Machnery or Tow Trucks. I wish I had only 1% of all those Cars i cut up with a torch, I wud be a Zillionare if I sold them today !! lots of 57 Chevy's The 55 Chev 265 had a Hollow Crank, So if it got hit in the Front , Good buy Engine., We Learned to NEVER bid on a 55 chevy V-8 if the front was damaged .. My first car was a 1953 Bel-air With a 235 6cyl and 3 CARBS ( Single Barrel Carbs ) on it.. Great for Street Racing, Until the Cops got me !!

Reply to
Santa

Geez, there isn't anything wrong with a properly operating fan clutch. Why have something spinning around using horsepower when it's not required? Most of the 2005 trucks models now have completely dropped mechanical cooling fans...they are running twin electric fans up front. I love it....the big fan shrouds are gone, you can get at the front of the engine now real easy.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

The clutch fan is the best compromise for mechanical style fans. Flex fans pull a lot of air but you have to be up in the RPMs to get any air flow. Of corse this applies to the clutch fan also. The flex fan, at least in my view does not pull enough air at lower speeds. If you have A/C and it the middle of the summer air flow makes a difference, especially if you get stuck in traffic.

I too read where the 2005 GM Pickups have dual electric fans. I've not been able to look at one yet or been able to find any pictures showing the setup. Anyone know of any pictures or illustrations on the GM trucks, showing the fans?

I would think that if you have two good sized electric fans that pull air through the radiator at a good rate and they cover most if not all of the radiator area on the rear of the radiator, that they would perform rather well. There are a number of cars that run fine with this.

I'm about to try a dual SPAL fan setup on my truck. Currently I have a fan clutch setup with aftermarket radiator that runs ok. The electric fan setup will be somewhat of a test to see how it performs.

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt the new 05 dual fan setup to older model trucks???

Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

Hi

im not sure that the thermostat is clogged. i think it may jsut be a bad thermostat. i will look into burping it as i have not done that yet.

also, going to chekc the heater hoses when i get a chance

thanks argos

Reply to
argos

Hi

lets not get into arguments about this .

i appreciate everyones comments.,

the inlet heater hosr gets very hot the outlet get about 10 degrees less hot.

i replaced my fan last winter.

rad cap is 2 years old i think

thanks argos

Reply to
argos

i might jsut change the thermostat, casue they''re cheap and im an expert at it now :)

Reply to
argos

Hi

Ok i changed the thermostat AGAIN and now my engine is running at a higher temp up to about 195F and moving up and down and the thermo opens and closes.

Still not much heat.

When i park it and rev the engine i get LOTS of heat. Also after i do that, the inlet heater hose is red hot and the outlet is vert hot.

Im guessing that the heater core takes some heat out of the antifreeze int he process of making warm air.

Any ideas of how much heat is taken out ? lots / little ?

Anyway, from this it seems to me that the flow is not going through my NEW heater core the way it should be, until the engine is really revved up.

So, i guess i will check the heater core hoses next when i have a chance.

thanks argos

Reply to
argos

Which is what you should have done weeks ago as suggested. You must like driving around in a cold truck they way you're going after this problem!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hoses are cheap. Don't fool around with them, just change them out and be done with it.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

hi

i changed the long hose and the old one was clean as a whistle. i didnt change the short one, becasue it has some kond of crazy connector on it and it will cost me $60 for a new one.

but i checked it and it seems clean too.

still not much heat. even when its warmer outside i dont get a lot of heat.

So it looks like im down to :

- air in the heater core

- heater vent not operating correctly.

the hoses on the heater core are both pretty hot. the one from the engine is too hot to grab onto. the one coming out of heater core i can hold onto for maybe 1 second. so they're pretty hot.

anyone have any experience getting at the vents in the dash ? i took out the glovebox and i couldnt really get at anything there.

thanks argos

Reply to
argos