Cheyenne Torque Converter Clutch & 2-3 Shift Solenoid fault

1995 Cheyenne 2500 has two fault codes which relate directly to loosing third and four gears after stopping for short time and truck seems to coast forever, little or no compression to slow the vehicle. Reverse, first and second gears work. OBD I 83 and 81 error codes are read on Check Engine Soon lamp for torque converter clutch and 2-3 shift solenoid circuit fault. Should I pull the pan and look for metal particles if torque converter failed or replace 2-3 shift solenoid or what 1st? The automatic transmission was rebuilt in 2008 with only 5k miles since. Total truck mileage is 242,000. In 2008 I removed and reinstalled the 250 pounds transmission with my modified floor jack. I added a platform especially to hold the transmission from 1/2 inch plywood.

Chevy service manager quoted me $3500 to swap it after saying loosing

3rd and 4th gears is a sign of catastrophic failure. I can get a recycled one for a few hundred bucks or get it rebuilt again for $1800 but I doubt it should need drastic repairs so soon.

Considering the life of the rebuild, I might rebuild it this time completely myself, can't trust the re-builder.

Reply to
volkswag