CHIRPPING NOISE

I have a 96 S10 with a 4.3

I hear a chirping noise coming from what sounds like the front-end but I can't seem to find it. The problem is intermittent. When it does start 'chirping a slight pressure on the brake pedal will stop it - release the brake pedal and it starts again. At other times I can drive for a mile or so before it begins 'chirping again.

I though the problem may have been a bearing, but I was told the front bearing an not a 'serviceable item.

I read this newsgroup all the time and it seems to offer great advice. I'm hoping that one of the 'regulars' of the group can assist me. Thanks for all your help!

Reply to
TOM TAYLOR

Tom, It sounds like you described something near where the ABS is located. It will stop when brake pressure is applied. Might not be a bad idea to check your brake fluid.

Swampy

Reply to
Swampyou

Reply to
Shep

I concur with Shep on the brake pad wear indicators...

Reply to
Mad Dog

Thanks for all the help. It was the brake wear indicator....Having the rotors cut and putting on ceramic pads. Again, thanks!

Reply to
TOM TAYLOR

Guys, if it were the brake pad wear indicators the chirping would get WORSE when the brakes were applied, not go away. Think about it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

True.....and then again, maybe not. I've witnessed some that actually quiet down when the brakes are applied.

Reply to
Mad Dog

Not always, just did the little woman's '02 Malibu. She heard a noise, I knew it was the sensors right away, they only made noise with the brakes released. Seems the wear indicators wouldn't vibrate enough to make noise when the pads hit the rotor.

Reply to
Repairman