Diesel starters 6.5 - maybe others

Just a forewarning to those with a 6.5 TD. My suggestion is to get underneath and check to make sure you have the bracket that helps hold the starter end housing to the block. Probably applicable to those with a 6.2, as well. It's a REAL pain in the neck to get to, which is why it is usually left off.

Without it, the bolts will loosen and may eventually break. When I had my starter out in March, I was going to check with the dealer to see if there was hardware missing, but I forgot. Last week, I had a bolt break off up inside the block. I was down a few days waiting on parts because I was NOT going to even crank the engine without the right parts attached.

Anyhow, just a heads-up for some preventative maintenance if you have this engine. It may save you some headaches in the future. For less than $2 for the bracket at the dealer, it's a wise investment.

Regards, Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

This just happened to me a week ago. I put an off the shelf bolt in and thought I was off the hook (wife told me the starter was out when she called) I promised myself that I would check it; I didn't. The morning after our first big snow I attempt to start the truck and it breaks the bolt off in the block. I spent 30 minutes laying on ice trying get the bolt out. I gave up and just held it with a pry bar long enough to start the engine. I came home typed in "6.5 starter bolt" and this was the first find. I am so relieved to find out that I also have a bracket missing. Otherwise, I just would have considered it another aspect of the 6.5's flawed design. Thanks Snowman

Reply to
6.5 Turbo Lemon

you're welcome.

hope you get your bolt out of the block.

Snowman

[...]

Well it unfortunately is a bad design. The bracket will not help much as it is not the weight of the starter breaking the bolts but the torque it produces. I have a 6.2 dsl with the two mounting bolts (and the tail end bracket) and it got to the point that I was having to tap out a broken starter bolt once or twice a year. The dealer told me this is extremely common and that some times the bolts don't break and it actually breaks the corner off the engine block. So as part of the normal maintenance of the engine I change both of the bolts every 6mo. Since I have started to do this I have not had any problems. So my suggestion is to change the bolts every 6mo and becareful just change one at a time and the starter will not drop out on you, be sure to torque the bolts.

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor