6.2 and 6.5 form factor

Hi All,

I'm looking at the 6,2/6.5 diesel as a transplant option into a Toyota T100 truck. Got a few questions if you pros can spare a minute:

  1. What is the total weight of a 6.2/6.5 diesel ready to run (with alternator, starter, injection pump, etc.? Do these engines have a vacuum pump or do they have a vacuum pump built into the alternator or ?

  1. I'm told the 6.2 has the same form factor as a chevy small block 350. The idea is to use the available conversion components (bellhousing from Advanced Adapters) and custom-build motor mount perches. Does the

6.2 have the same mount points as a small block 350? Does the 6.5 have the same mount points as the small block 350?

  1. Are the 6.2/6.5 engines available in a mechanical version - without EFI?

  2. Anything I should be asking that I'm not asking?

Any info, pointers or advice really appreciated....

Ron

Reply to
Ron Tellus

Ron,

Interesting conversion you are planning. Hope you have luck with it. There was one guy here a few years back who wedged a 6.5L into a Land Rover. The

6.5's are very popular for marine use as well.

I will answer what I know about this motor, so I'll take it by the numbers.

I can no longer find the specs for the 6.5L turbo diesel on GM Powertrain's web site to tell you the weight. I can tell you it is slightly heavier than a 350 (actually about in the range of the 454) because it was all iron, but somehow it was still light enough for it to be available in half-ton model trucks without modifications to the front suspension to support the weight. The 6.5L has a vacuum pump driven by the serpentine belt on the front passenger's side of the motor.

  1. The form factor for the 6.2 is very similar to the 350 and will fit all transmissions that the 350 used. The 6.5L is also similar, although I can't tell you about the mount points. However, you should be aware that the 6.5L turbo version has the turbo hanging off the passenger's side of the motor right over the valve cover, which may bring into question whether or not it will fit comfortably into a smaller engine bay like the T100 without severely modifying the right side wheel well (especially for the intake and exhaust plumbing). The downtube for the turbo definitely needs some room - and most likely some heat shielding as well. There is also a normally aspirated version of the 6.5L without the turbo.

  1. The 6.2L's had mechanical fuel injection pumps, as did the very early

6.5L's (1993). The pump was the DB2. On '94 and later 6.5L's they switched to the all-electronic DS4 which has an electronic throttle as well (no throttle cables). I believe that you can retrofit an older DB2 pump onto a newer 6.5L but you lose some fuel efficiency because you no longer have a computer monitoring then engine and making constant adjustments.

  1. Obviously the T100 wasn't designed to have a heavy motor in it so weight may be a significant issue with the front suspension (I believe the heaviest motor was a small aluminum V-8? Not the same as an iron diesel V-8 by a long shot). If this turns out to be a problem, you could look into an even older 350 V-8 diesel from Olds - I know very little about these motors but there are some folks here who say the final versions of these motors before they were discontinued in favor of the 6.2L's were very good - this might be worth looking into.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Hi!

I don't know the exact weight, but I can tell you this is a *very* heavy engine when it is complete and together.

The vacuum pump on mine is (I think) part of the power steering pump. There's another smaller one attached to the engine under the air cleaner at the rear of the motor, but I think all it does is provide suction for the thermostat controls.

I don't know the most about this as I have not investigated it. My answers here could be incomplete or wrong. Both items do have something to do with vacuum generation however.

Yes.

I would worry about the handling of your truck. If it is anything like my

6.2-equipped 1984 Sierra, expect your truck to be *very* front heavy and back light. You may not be happy with such a conversion for this very reason.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Tocoma small truck, why not look at the Oldsmobile V-6 diesel engine used in the mid size cars, and also used in the cutlass cierra Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Although I have both 6.2NA and 6.5TD vehicles, I would consider the Dodge Cummins I-6 diesel for the conversion -- I don't know what other transfer cases/trannies can bolt up to it because the Dodge TC/trannies aren't known for their sturdiness. It's lighter, too.

Reply to
Franko

a Cummins ISB weighs in at about 1150lbs.. it would CRUSH the front end of the toyota. it is several hundred pounds heavier than the 6.2, I don't know about the 6.5td. the New Venture standards behind the cummins are just fine, it's the autos that suck.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I agree. Not only is the Cummins a taller, heavier motor, but it must be intercooled as well, requiring much more plumbing for the intake. Plus with an inline 6-cylinder format (plus intercooler, plus heavier radiator, etc.), I feel confident in saying that you won't be able to wedge it into the engine bay of a T100 - into the bed perhaps, but not under the hood.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Geez! I remember reading somewhere that an I-6 crate weighed in at 950 lbs! Thanks for the correction folks.

Reply to
Franko