Differential question

I just found out, doing an all-fluids change myself, that the rear differential on my '04 Z71 Avalanche (4.10 locker) has been 2 quarts low since I've had it....which is 26 months now. No leaks or seeps anywhere on the diff. Lest I be accused of lack of due diligence, I took it to the GM dealer a month after getting it an had all the fluids "serviced"...including the front and rear diffs and the transfer case. After spending a day under there I can tell with 100% certainty that none of the drain plugs on the t/c or front diff have ever been off. They are as pristine as they were when they left GM's Mexico plant. Ditto for the rear diff plate and fill plug. All along I though a certain amount of diff howl was normal with the 4.10's. Now I wonder if it was low fluid all along. Question: One What's the capacity of this differential....how much fluid has been in there with 2 quarts missing? Question Two: What's the likelihood of permament damage to the rear end? I wiggled the rear wheels while off the ground and the wheel bearings seem tight. No real noise or play apparent.What are the odds this has damaged the diff?

Reply to
Augustus

Update: Upon checking it was about 1.75 qts low, not quite 2.

Reply to
Augustus