Extended Warranties on a Grand Cherokee

Back in 2002 when I purchased a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited, I spent $800 for a 7 year 100,000 mile extended warranty going against the advice of many old timers in this group who recommended not purchasing extended warranties. The warranty was a Chrysler warranty. This year (May 2009) the extended warranty just ended and I have tallied up the work done with the extended warranty, which came out to a little over $1200.

The only disappointment was that the 10 disc cd "player" that failed and was factory installed and a jeep brand was not covered in the extended warranty because it was not part of the "radio unit" as it is external to the unit and as such an accessory.

But the biggest comfort, for me, in having an extended warranty is knowing if there would be a major problem you will likely be covered.

Reply to
Larry

If your not truely at the end I recommend checking for any leakey seals and get them fixed. Of note is that after a repair there is an additional waranty on the repair. ;)

I negotiated the 7-70 (longest one at that time) with my 93 and it paid for several transmission seals and one engine (shortblocked) due to a rear main bearing going out.

Reply to
DougW

hi doug, about two months before the end of the warranty I had the dealer check for leaks and they did end up replace a couple of front axle seals. With a little over 70,000 miles on the Grand, now I wonder how long it will be before repairs really get expensive.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

They don't get expensive if you do them yourself. ;) You also get some nice tools out of the deal as well.

You learn to live with small drips. That's just the Jeep marking its territory.

For most repairs I suggest finding a good local shop and let them do the work. The costs will be much less than dealership prices.

Here is a great example. I needed to get the front and rear diff fluids changed and just didn't have time to do it myself. The dealer wanted over 200 bucks for _each_ diff! Think that's the first time I ever seriously accused someone of being out of their f-cking mind. The local shop I use did the job for $80.

Then again the dealer wanted to charge 100 to change the transfer case fluid. Two bolts and 1 1/2 quarts of transmission fluid. That I did myself.

Reply to
DougW

The local Chrysler dealer did a 4X4 service which included front and rear dif, transfer case and transmission flush, filter and new fluid for $299.00 Canadian Dollars. That included gear oil and transmission fluid.

Reply to
noodlebrain

That's actually a fairly good price considering all the work and disposal issues involved. Plus flushing equipment is not something the average backyard mechanic has.

Reply to
DougW

That's what I thought as well!

Reply to