dumb question but i dont know jack about trucks

i just got some transmission fluid for my chevy blazer (99) and i need to add just a little bit to the tranny. but where the hell do i put the fluid at? i read the manual but it doesnt tell you where it is to do so, only the dip stick. i was thinking about dropping some down the dip stick but i figured someone here would know where to dump it. Thanks for you help

Reply to
Jason

David Norris

Since you "don't know Jack. . . ." be careful when you add transmission fluid. They sell it in quarts but you shouldn't need more than a pint. Don't overfill it! If it needs more than a pint, I'd suggest you take it to a shop for a filter/fluid change. Tell them to check for a leak.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Jason

OK -- - if you're having transmission problems, there is no additive that will fix it. Don't use additives. If you're just low on fluid, add some transmission fluid. Don't put anything else in there! Don't use additives. If your transmission hasn't been serviced, take it to a shop and have the filter and fluid changed. Don't go for one of those gimmicks where they pump out the old while they pump in the new either. Some guys may offer differing advice, but you said you "don't know Jack. . ." Transmissions are complicated and you simply can't fix one with an additive.

Reply to
George

I know that, I just saw it at a store and figured what the hell. I'm one of those "I know enough to be dangerous" people. I'll just add the fluid in. Prolly gonna get a filter and fluid change anyway. I'll just get it changed, and if they see something wrong, they'll fix it. Thanks for the help

transmission

Reply to
Jason

Did you check the fluid with the engine running in park, on LEVEL ground?

Also, describe your transmission problems.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hey Doc, what I know about transmission would maybe fill a thimble but I thought transmissions were supposed to be checked while in drive on level ground. At least that's what I was told 20 years ago. Have things changed or have I been in error for the last 20?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

You've been in error for the past 20 eyars. Engine running, level ground, in park or neutral.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I think this is also spelled out right on the dipstick. Guess they started doing that for the people that misplaced/never got/didn't read the owner's manual.

Reply to
Mike Levy