How / Where to add ATF?

I have a 97 Toyota Camry. I am able to check Automatic Transmission Fluid via the dip stick. But from where do I add transmission fluid? Is it OK to add ATF treatment (has PTFE and contains petroleum distillates) to a transmission that is beginning to show signs of slipping when cold?

Reply to
jay

Usually fill through the dipstick tube. A funnel helps.

If it's slipping when cold, I'd flush and refill with synth ATF fluid. When's the last time the fluid was changed?

Reply to
Andy Hill

======================================== No. The manufacturer Dupont has stated repeatedly their product aka Teflon was not designed for use in engines. Don't think it is any better in transmissions. You could try draining and adding Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and Lucas transmission fix. I use the Lucas product as preventative maintenance, apx. 8 oz. When you're checking the final level, transaxle should be at normal operating temperature, not idled in traffic, or driven at high speed. Allow ten miles for normal warm up. Fluid is added through the dipstick. If the existing fluid is darkened, drain and fill several times. Once you get the level correct, you can measure the amount removed as a guide to re filling. I use empty plastic quart oil containers with ounce markings on the sides.

Reply to
Daniel

Thx

I bought it used from a car dealer at 110K miles and have put another

10K on it. Don't know it prior maintenance records :(
Reply to
jay

Consider getting the transmission strainer changed. I mean getting a new strainer and rubber cork gasket like in the Fram AT kit for about $20. Also, I wouldn't have the tranny flushed in this state or let the mechanic just "clean" the strainer. In its casing it'll never truely be clean.

Replace the strainer, gasket, and ATF (as well as the ATF in the differential). The parts and fluid are about $30.

jay wrote:

Reply to
johngdole