67 Mustang: Fan rub on shroud

Looking for anyone that may have a similar setup to check or knows if my setup is correct.

On my '67 289, no AC, no PS, 20" radiator, I tried to install a fan shroud, but the fan rubs at the top and bottom of the shroud. At the top, it rubs on the inside vertical face of the shroud, not on the highest inner surface. It almost seems that the fan is too close to the radiator.

Fan is a 4 blade (original I think), Diam= 17.5" Aluminum spacer from water pump to fan is approx 2 3/4" long.

I'm considering switching to a flex fan with a smaller diameter but want to rule out any incorrect parts first.

thanks

Bob

Reply to
pony67

Is that the original 289 or a later year?

As I recall, there are two fans. One is a long shaft and the other a short shaft. The long shaft would place the blades closer to the radiator.

I'm pretty sure mine is short shaft. When a shroud was added, I had not contact at all.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

Spike, its the original 289 motor as far as I can tell.

Reply to
pony67

OK, where did you get the shroud? You might want to check to verify that you have the correct part number for your application. Errors in shipment do happen.

Is the rubbing constant? That is, there is no wobble in fan action to indicate a bent fan shaft?

How close is too close to the radiator? (I don't have the specs on that distance, but someone else in the group may have. My manual doesn't have clear enough pictures to see a spacer. However, the steps for water pump removal mentions it.

Are you sure the radiator isn't improperly installed such that it "leans"?

Can you adjust the shroud (ie loosen the shroud retains enough to lightly hold and adjust as necessary to provide clearance)? Shims (washers) might help correct this problem.

The only other possible (and it's remote) I can envision would be the engine not seated properly, but that should show up.

So, I think it comes down to a case of possible using washers to shim the shroud to proper fit if it's not too far out of line.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK Inaugural Address

Reply to
Spike

Spike, I posted some photos below. Note the bottom on this shroud is cut. The shroud stamping matches those listed in several catalogs and parts books, so I think that its the correct one.

The fan spacing is about 5/8" from fan tip to top tank, and 1.5" from fan tip to fins. The an shaft does nto look bent, and the radiator seems to sit correctly. I tried to move or shim the shroud with no luck.

I do think your last suggestion could be a factor, as the motor does not look to sit straight, but looks pivoted as if the driver mount is back further than the passenger. But its not much, and still looks like the fan would hit. I wonder if simply a shorter spacer would fix the issue.

thanks Bob

Reply to
pony67

The URL keeps giving me a blank page.

Remember, not all vendors get their stuff from the same place. The numbers could match up between some of them, but one might outsource to Taiwan or some such place. (China is getting into the parts market now). So, it could be great with one vendor, and lousy with another. Another condition is how long a part has set, and under what conditions (sitting in a hot warehouse, with stuff stacked on top might warp a part enough so fitment is the pits.

That part sounds pretty normal as regards the spacing. The shim idea was a shot in the dark. Sometimes just adding a washer can make a big difference.

Has this car been in an accident? As for a shorter spacer, that would be a WAG on my part. Of course, much of this is WAG trial and error until you hit on the right combo.