Electrical problems

I have a Geep Jago based on the Escort Mark II ic electrics. It has gained a few electrical gemlins in the last couple of days.

1) The indicators don't work from the stalk, but do work from the Hazard switch. I've tested the indicator stalk swith and this seems to be working OK. None of the fuses are blown in the engine bay fuse box (Is there another one that's been hidden). I assume that if the hazards work there is noth majorly wrong with the circuit.

2) The horn doesn't work either (did a day or so ago!) This made me think it was the indicator stalk switch but this seems to be fine when I resistance tested all the switches.

3) The washer pump doesn't work either. Testing the circuit does seem to give a very low voltage (3 or 4) on the circuit when the button is depressed on the washer stalk.

Everying was fine a few days ago!

Can anybody make any suggestions before I give up and take it to the experts!.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
dht

I had similar symptoms with a dodgy permanent 12 volt feed - yours may have a loose connection nearer the steering column than mine (which was in the breakout box on the permanent feed to the starter motor).

Also, have you considered dodgy earth/return from the steering column feed?

Next, look at the indicator fuses and relays - often one per side, with a separate relay for the hazards. I'd disconnect, clean, tighten and re- connect all the connections you can find - one at a time though :->

Cheers, James

Reply to
James Dore

They use different circuits for a start - one works without the ignition, the other not.

A hazard switch is a complicated mechanism and many give trouble - if only because they're not much used. A squirt of switch cleaner may fix it.

Resistance testing with an ordinary DVM isn't that reliable. Best to use a test lamp so a reasonable current is flowing. But don't forget that any car electrical device needs a ground to operate, and those are the least checked but most likely to fail.

Assuming you're measuring it from a known good ground, this shows up a classic high resistance connection that your DVM probably won't find on the resistance range.

Best way to use a DVM is to measure the voltage drop across a circuit while it's on load. If you get someone to press the washer, and measure the volts - as you've done - going back up the chain. A good start would be to measure either side of the switch. If you connect the DVM to the input and output of the switch, with everything still connected, you should see 12 volts with it open, and zero with it closed. Anything other than a tiny fraction of a volt says the switch is faulty - probably just dirty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is it the typical Ford combiniation switch with the Hazard switch on top of the steering column. If so it is most likely a faulty switch. Disconnect the plug and look for any sign of over heating, ( plastic distorted or connections discoloured). Either way, unless there are two flasher units, the indicators are dependent on a pos feed from the Hazard switch. So even though the Hazards work, the switch could still be faulty.

Reply to
John Egan

No its the older Escort mark 2 system with a separate rocker switch if this helps. Having had a rumage round in the electrics last night I have noticed that on the wiring running to the flasher unit there are 2 brown wires (live), and the left and right black/green wires. But I have found a random blue wire with a spade connector on it strapped to the indicator wiring loom and no home as far as I can see, any ideas what this might be (I know a wild stab in the dark!)

Cheers Dave

Reply to
dht

Brown wires on Ford are usually earth, but the old Brit cars used to use brown for Pos so I couldn't be sure about a Mk II. What sort of flasher relay, how many connections and any numbers on the pins. I have come across cars with a separate flasher relay for indicators and hazards.

Reply to
John Egan

Have fixed the problem now, it was corrosions causing resistance in the fuse box.

The flasher unit is a three pin. A split brown power lead and two black / green wires.

Thanks for the help. All I need to do is get the washer pump working for the MOT.

Cheers Dave

Reply to
dht