Engine shut off going down the road?

Wife had the suburban she was in parking lot with engine running and the thing shuts off she restarted it and drove off and about 1/4 mile the engine shuts off again then she calls me.When I get there maybe 15 minutes later I turn the key and it starts right up and drives fine.There was no check engine light on the only thing I found out of place was the one of the battery caps was kinda lose so snapped it back in place.Has any one had a problem like this?

Reply to
kdm

kdm

Not sure what you mean by "snapped it back in place", but the battery cable could be the culprit. Needs to be tight, whatever method yours uses to tighten, and if it's the clamp type, there's every possibility that you need to clean the terminal(s) and the inside of the clamp(s) also.

That said, I have a '94 Jeep Cherokee that was doing exactly the same thing. Turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor, mounted on the bell housing. Needed two long extensions, one short, a universal joint, and an eyeball on the end of my finger to replace it, but it certainly did the trick.

Love to know how this works out for you. Keep posting......

JLarsson

Reply to
JLarsson

Fuel pump is starting to go bad. Had the same thing happen with a 94 Blazer. Driving along and it shut down. Wait a couple minutes and it would start up like nothing was wrong. Drive it a couple days and it would do it again. Took about a week and it died and wouldn't start. Opened the gas cap and no pump noise. The next time it quits DON'T turn off the key, coast it to the side of the road and open the gas cap. If you don't hear that pump you have the problem found. Repairing it is a different matter...... Especially if you have a full tank of fuel.....

Reply to
Steve W.

Have the positive battery cable for corrosion at the battery terminal connection.

KenG

kdm wrote:

Reply to
KENG

With no RPM's the pump relay should turn off, so you shouldn't be able to hear the pump.

Best is to listen for a few seconds when the key is turned to ignition.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I can hear the pump running when I crank the truck up it has always made a loud whine when running .So far I have been driving the truck and absolutely nothing out of the ordinary has happened yet.If memory severs me right it has done this awhile back but then it stated right back up and I didn't give it no more thought until now.Now let me ask another ???? when the fuel pump quits does the engine make a loud thump noise are does it just stop like you just turned it off with the key??the rezone I ask is when I first got the thing the gas gage was messed up and going down the high way I heard a loud thump and the engine was dead.

Reply to
kdm

Nope no loud thump. It will just die.

Loud thump sounds like a bigger problem.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Black Dog

Well it looks like a new fuel pump it finally stopped on me today. the pump would make make high and low whining sounds before it would shut off. I did change the fuel filter and that got me home with no more problems. Is there any hints webs sites that shows the presses of changing out the fuel pump that any one knows of?

Reply to
kdm

The fuel pump is prouble located in the fuel tank, which means you'll to remove the tank.

Reply to
bobbyric

The fuel pump is prouble located in the fuel tank, which means you'll to remove the tank.

Reply to
bobbyric

Ok tank is off now just have to put new pump in.

I would like to thank every one for there help.

Reply to
kevin