Programming New Remote

Greetings,

I recently lost my #2 remote for my 2004 Chevy 2500HD and will be purchasing a replacement on eBay soon. I still have my #1 remote. My question is can I program the new remote myself without any special (expensive) tools or do I need to go to the dealer to have it done?

Any sage words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Good luck, I asked the same thing and nothing yet for my 05 Colorado. Dealer wants 75.00 Total rip off.

Reply to
Kevin

Greetings,

I found some instructions for a 2003 Silverado on the net but am unsure if they will work. If you have a 2005 Colorado and need your remote programmed, the dealer should do it under warranty - just tell them the remote stopped working and you don't know why. Remember to give them both remotes however, because both need to be programmed at the same time.

We purchased a Pontiac Vibe for my wife recently that is still under warranty and the former owner only had one remote. I bought a new one off eBay and went to the dealer with both. They programmed both for free no questions asked.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Reply to
Robert Ball

Nothing yet?

I already replied to you that it can only be done at the dealer.

As to the price, yes, he is ripping you off. So call around and find another dealer.

Reply to
Commentator

Doesn't any of you know that you can buy those key fabs at Autozone for a lot less than the dealer and they will do the same thing for you? And they can program them too.

Reply to
Adam

That is what the sign on the front door at Autozone promises. There is also a website where new remote fobs and programming can be done. It was a bit pricey, about $60-70, at this website but IS possible, and not only the dealer can do it.

Does anyone know what Autozone charges? We are missing one of our remotes, and it is a PITA not to have it available, but not worth $70 either.

Reply to
<HLS

We were talking about programming, not the best place to buy a remote.

(I paid $22 on eBay, dealer wanted > $100)

As to programming on a website - for the vehicle in question, cannot be done. Period.

If AutoZone can do it great, I did not know that, but the fact remains you cannot do it yourself and must pay someone who has the right equipment to do it. Specific HARDWARE is required to program this remote.

Reply to
Commentator

I bought a remote for our 99 jimmy and I programmed it, all I did was put in the batteries and got in the truck and pressed the unlock and lock buttons and held them untill the truck beeped, dont know how this will work for anyone else.

Reply to
Adam

Well, they say they can. The fob and programming was about $70. You order, give them the required information, and you get your remote in the mail.

The individual cannot do it over a website, true. The company offering the service provides everything.

Now, I would venture to say that the electronics behind the fobs is not so very complicated, and it probably wouldn't be any hill for a climber to BECOME ABLE to do it. I'll have to look into this (but I dont care enough one way or the other to try it myself.)

Reply to
<HLS

Here is an example of a keyless remote site, offering both aftermarket and OEM type fobs and programming assistance. I dont believe this is the site I originally found, but it illustrates the claims anyway.

<HLS

Hi!

I'd have to agree. If you get the remote open (as if you were going to change the battery) then you should be able to see the model and possibly even the maker of the IC inside.

I was able to find a data sheet for the IC used in my 2003 S-10's key fobs...in that case there was no description about how do any needed "programming" to the IC. Nor is there anything on the circuit board to which a programmer might connect. Maybe it's done via the onboard radio transceiver?

It doesn't matter very much to me any longer. One remote went bonkers and the other has gone missing. I don't care to get them replaced.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I was able to buy a new remote for my 2000 S-10 and program it myself. I now have a 2006 Grand Prix and it must be taken to a dealer to be programmed using a scan tool. The programming changes from vehicle to vehicle, but the fact still remains, the manufacturer is making it harder for the DIY to DIY...

Reply to
Mike Levy

I did the same for my 2000 S-10. However, the procedures change from model to model and year to year as electronics vary and are improved upon through the course of a design. I now have a 2006 Grand Prix and must take the car to the dealer if a new remote must be programmed. I verified this by looking in the GM Service Info system, the only procedure listed involves using a GM scan tool.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Thats why I donnot buy a newer Vehicle.. Buying one LOCKS u into Going to the DEALER .. I'll Stick with my 89 s10.

When I want to fix a Vehicle , I DONNOT want to Have to DEPEND on a DEALER , Especially A GM DEALER .. What happens if ALL of GM does as DELPHIA is doing But CANNOT be SAVED from Bankruptcy...The Consumer is Goingto Be stuck with Vehicles that CANNOT be fixed, Because all the DEALERS will be gone ALSO !

NO DEALER= No Getting a NEW Chipped KEY MADE!

Reply to
no one

Greetings,

First off, it would be a cold day for everyone in this country if a company as large a GM went down - if a company that large went south this country would have more problems across the board than just where to get our cars fixed. There is no way that any consumer who purchases a new vehicle these days isn't going to be reliant to some extent on the manufacturer no matter what make or model. Not everyone wants to drive around in a clunker that they have to keep running with a coat hanger and duct tape. Also, what are you giving up for the perceived ability to be able to fix your '89 S10? Fuel economy, lower emissions, power and safety come to mind.

Sorry but Delphi is no longer a part of GM and hasn't been for a while. In fact, one reason why they filed for bankruptcy is because they got saddled with the pay structure that was negotiated when GM was their parent. Delphi is also an extremely large company as well so don't expect to see them shuttering all of their operations anytime soon either.

As for your chipped key, I've gotten spares made at independent locksmiths before with no problem. It's just a matter of finding a place that has the machine to read the codes and the blanks to receive the programming - not everyone has them but not impossible to find either. And when it comes to service, I must be the one and only SOB in the entire country that has consistently gotten great service from every Chevy dealer I've been to. I've been driving GM products continually since 1988 and have never had a problem with any of my dealers' service departments. I can't tell you if it's the same at the corporate level because frankly I've never had to contact GM in order to settle any issue that a dealer I've used has been unable or unwilling to handle. Others may not be that lucky, but from my perspective I can't possibly see where their service could be any better.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

"William R. Walsh" wrote in message news:kNd6f.448990$x96.104151@attbi_s72...

Generally the vehicle is programmed to accept the remote, not the other way around. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Purchased it NEW in NOV 1988 ( $8,246.98 )

28 MPG

No payments

4.3 is powerful enough for me 225,000 miles

Been plowing Snow with it since 1995.

Same Automatic Tranny As when I bought it in 1988 ( Same Fluid)

Not Rusted out

This Model Truck HAS NEVER been in a RECALL

Low Insurance RATE !

I've had Chevy's since 1958

and have never had a

Reply to
no one

Not True. A local (Dayton Ohio) area locksmith I deal with has the "Chip" keys. That "Chip" is nothing more then a simple resistor.

The keys have to have the value read. Then matched to the proper blank with the correct resistor value.

For some items I perfer to buy them OEM from a GM dealer then aftermarket stuff. Lock cylinders & key switches are one of those items. Although a Good locksmith can Code your locks to your exsisting code, as well as cut you a key basied on the code on the cylinder.

As for Remote Programing. Anyone with the proper tools can do it. Yet very few Non-Dealer shops invest in the equpiment to do it. Give it 5 to

8 years and they will. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig

I know a former friend of mine used to run his own shop out of his garage, he was an ASE Ford Mechanic, he used to be able to program key fabs. He showed me once on his handheld.

Reply to
Adam