first time suburban owner

Greetings. We recently purchased a 1998 Suburban K1500 LT. It's got all the bells and whistles and what appears to be a very gently used vehicle. 78000 miles and locally owned (small town) and driven. Has towing package but has never towed anything. The tires appear to even be the original BFG as there are no wheel weight marks on the wheels and with aluminum wheels usually tire jockeys always seem to do some kind of damage. At least they always did on my previous vehicle(s). Anyway wondering what high and low points I should watch for with this thing. It's the first GM product I've owned in many many years so I don't have anything to go by except the Suburban's reputation for being a tough machine and the 350 for being around forever. I gave it a pretty thourough look at the dealer prior to buying and the only "issue" I could find was a small tear on the driver seat which was fixed for us. So would love to hear from the experts here. Thanks in advance Larry

Reply to
jdoe

Congratulation. I bought a used one of the same year myself. What I found on mine is they put the wrong transmission filtered on at the dealer. the burb comes with deep pan filter and they put a regular filter on (filter costs 50% or more for the deep pan version). The filter my drop down into the pan if it is the wrong one.

I think factory tires are Michelins. One way to know for sure is look at the brand and model of your spare. it should be the same as the one on the truck.

Reply to
J Oat
98 Suburb style

Thin front brake rotors that can warp..... pule...

New Silverado newer body style have the thick front rotors....

That's about it..

jdoe wrote:

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

Reply to
Kevin Smith

"jdoe" sez:

78000 miles

The 4L60E transmission is just about to take a dump on you. If the TCC valve body defect doesn't get you, the cheesy spin weld spline on the sun reaction shell will. $2000 will fix it.

VLJ

Reply to
vlj

run your rear fan for your rear A/C on medium at ALL TIMES when you are running the A/C. Medium or high, that is. There was a post about this many moons ago by someone and it gave very detailed information on it. Can't remember the details, but know it was worth doing. We've done this for 3 years and not had troubles.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman