New Suburban owner

Howdy folks. I just bought a '97 K1500 Suburban. LT package, tow package, indigo & silver. The whole family absolutely loves it. It is a dream to drive. We wanted something large enough for a gang of kids - my two and their friends, with guts enough to pull the boat. This thing is fantastic. It does have a couple of minor 'used vehicle' type issues I need to deal with. Any help you can provide will be most appreciated.

1) It came with the factory tow package (Z82) but the wiring to the trailer plug has been cut. There's a hole by the license plate where I believe the plug should be and there's a section of the wiring harness that's open ended and wrapped around the bumper support on the driver's side. I'm guessing they go together but I haven't yet found a good source to steer me in the right direction. I could use some help returning this to factory standards. I could buy one of those pigtail things and plug it in, but I'd prefer to return it to its correct set-up. Any good web sites out there or other advice? 2) The cargo door doesn't lock or unlock using the remote.The switch inside the cargo door doesn't lock it - I haven't tried to unlock it using this switch. It locks only by using the key manually. It does unlock using the switch on the driver's door. When using the key, it's slow and difficult to turn. It feels like I'm moving an awful lot of weight. Any experience out there with this? Thanks folks for any help and I'm open to advice on what to watch out for as I get used to it - any common problem areas or owner tricks that'll enhance my Suburban experience. Merry Christmas to all. TrailMarker.
Reply to
TrailMarker

The pre 99 body style Suburban has the thin brake rotors up front...... Try not to over torque the wheels & don't heat up the brakes excessively.... The Front rotors will then warp and pulse....

That problem was corrected on the 99 & up new body style..... Advertised with thick Brake rotors....

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

Per Dennis Mayer:

My '98's are going to have to be replaced sooner or later. Anybody know if the '99 rotors can be retrofitted?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Thanks for the info. I have worked through the two problems I mentioned. I'm a happy camper. TrailMarker.

Reply to
TrailMarker

The 99 new body Suburban is a whole new truck from the Ground up.. Suspension parts etc. are 'different'.

The 07 Suburban should be a whole new design from the Ground up too.

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

I had my tire shop order heavy duty aftermarket rotors for the front wheels of my 98 Silverado this was after spending about $300 at Chevy to get the same crap that GM originally installed on that car. Sorry I ever got rid of that truck. tpb

Reply to
TPBeach

Per TPBeach:

How many miles did you get out of it before selling?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

For the rear power door lock open the back door and look at the top of the door frame. You'll see the power "pins" for the door locks and heated windows sticking out. Lightly sand the tips and the pads where they touch and everything should start working again. Silicone grease should keep the contacts clean.

Reply to
Repairman