First time Ford owner

Hey guys, Ford Newbie here. Been reading up on this Ford NG and thought I'd
pop in and say hello.
Never owned a Ford before but with a growing family, Wife, two children and
two Basset Hounds we really needed a larger vehicle. Well we just bought a
1992 Ford Taurus GL wagon, 3.8 liter V6 from a private owner for $1800.00.
It has 75,000 miles on it. I really like the car and so does the family.
Only problem I am having is the check engine light keeps coming on after
about 10 minutes of running it. It will usually go off after about a half an
hour of driving. I need to get the codes out to determine the problem. Is
there any way to do this without getting a code reader? Everything seems to
be running fine and we are very pleased with the size, performance and
quality. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I'm just so use to
Chrysler products where keying the ignition on and off three times will give
you the set of error codes. I don't have a clue how to proceed with this
one.
John
95 Jeep Wrangler
92 Ford Taurus GL Wagon
94 Dodge Shadow (This POS is currently just taking up space in the driveway)
Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.
Reply to
John
John opined
Welcome to the club...
To get the codes read, check with local auto parts stores. Autozone, in most places other than California, will read out the codes for free,
Cant tell, could be a number of things, but the EGR system is subject to needing cleaning in these.
Go to google.com and select groups.. search this group for any other questions you may have.
Also
Reply to
Backyard Mechanic
AutoZone will NOT read your codes because your car is OBD1. They only read OBD2. That's the bad news. The good news is you can get a flashing light code reader for less than $25.
For more help, see

CJB
Reply to
CJB
On the newer Fords, a cause for the light can ba a loose gasoline cap...make sure it's closed snugly (maybe the previous owner bought another cap that isn't the correct one for your model).
Reply to
danny
autozone wont read codes anymore thanks to the lawyers. someone sued them for telling them the wrong part to get.
great site here. Skidflap
> AutoZone will NOT read your codes because your car is OBD1. They only read > OBD2. That's the bad news. The good news is you can get a flashing light > code reader for less than $25. > > For more help, see
> > CJB >
> > John opined > > > > > Only problem I am having is the check engine light keeps coming on after > > > about 10 minutes of running it. It will usually go off after about a > > > half an hour of driving. I need to get the codes out to determine the > > > problem. Is there any way to do this without getting a code reader? > > > > Welcome to the club... > > > > To get the codes read, check with local auto parts stores. Autozone, in > most > > places other than California, will read out the codes for free, > > > > Cant tell, could be a number of things, but the EGR system is subject to > > needing cleaning in these. > > > > Go to google.com and select groups.. search this group for any other > > questions you may have. > > > > Also > >

Reply to
skidflap
Tell you what... it just MAY HAPPEN, "Come the revolution...."
I F45678'g HATE lawyers.
skidflap opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:
Reply to
Backyard Mechanic
This is how I do it (with a junper wire, then looking at check engine light). I find it's best to read the codes when it's dark or getting dark though. Makes it easier to count.
Reply to
Childfree Scott

Site Timeline Threads