GM parking brake question

Hello all, I know this is a Chevy truck newsgroup, but my experience with you guys leads me to believe that there is definitely competent advice being given, and I would love to tap into it again. BTW, I actually do own a GM truck, so don't get too mad at me! I am having a problem with the parking brake on my wife's Monte Carlo. It is a 2003 SS w/ 4 wheel disks, and the parking brake pedal goes all the way down to the floor with some (not much) resistance, and does not keep the car from rolling at all. The cables appear to be connected. When the pedal is pushed, there is activity on the cables near the brakes. The rear pads are at 50%. Is there any adjustment that can be made to the cabling system, or any other tricks you guys/gals can brief me on?! 50% of the rear pads should be enough to grab the disks, and hold the car, but I ain't sure! Thank you in advance.

Jerry

Reply to
JP

This vehicle uses the drum-in-hat style park brake. In other word, the park brake shoes are inside the rear rotor. You can make an external adjustment to the cables at the equalizer part of the cables, should be right in the middle of the rear axle where the cables come together. The proper way though, is to remove the rear rotors, adjust the rear park brake shoes to the rear rotors, and then make your final adjustment at the cable.

If you don't feel like messing with the calipers and rotors, just make some adjustment at the equalizer and see if you can get a good pedal.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai