Changing seized parking brake cable

Looks like the cables seized or frozen from the pull handle to the (pivot point spring return)if you want to call it that under the truck where the 2 cables meet for adjustment. I was wondering how hard it is to . to change the cable from the hand brake mounted below dash board to spring retrun under the truck if its seized in there the pull arm isnt bugging. this is on my 94 short bed toyota truck with

22re engine.
Reply to
Age

The brake cable runs along the the underside of the driver's floorboard. There is a heat shield that protects the floorboard from the exhaust pipe heat. The cable runs between this heat shield and the floorboard. It is a bit tricky to extract, but can be done from the underside of the truck.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I had to do this on an '81 Diesel PU, I remember that it was a nuisance but not too big of a deal. In my case the brake light wasn't going out - so I took to pushing the brake handle in - big mistake - the cable frayed and eventually broke. I should have crawled underneath and made sure that the cable 'take-up' adjustment was OK and that the moving (pivoting) parts were not frozen (lots of moisture and salt and gravel up there).

The replacement cable will run down a cable housing that might be gunked up. Get some local advice on what is called for to clean the housing and protect the new assembly. Hereabouts we put salt, sand, and gravel on the roads in the winter - lots of chances for things to eventually go wrong.

Rob > >

Reply to
Robert Charles Young