Intake Manifold

Is it common for the intake to fail / break so as to dump coolant into oil pan? Is this because of the synthetic material it is made of? If so what are the dangers of damaging the engine if it is only run for a few minutes after this failure?

Reply to
Frank Ross

Year, make, model, engine and mileage?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"
1999, chevy,K2500, 350cid,86k ""
Reply to
Frank Ross

That's better!

From the sound of your post the lower intake manifold (aluminum) has cracked? Or do you mean the lower intake gaskets (between aluminum intake and iron block) failed allowing coolant into the engine?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

As it turns out the gasket failed. minimule(spelling?) run time. I would say just a few minutes at most. Changed out gaskets, drained oil, filter, and coolant. Run engine till warm, let it set and changed oil & filter again. Plan on doing it 1 more time. Am still concerned about possible damage to bearings and surfaces, but engine sounds ok. Oil press. good.

Reply to
Frank Ross

If it only ran a few minutes after the gasket failure you should be ok. If the bearings were chewed up as a result you'd see lower oil pressure figures, which you aren't.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hi,

I've got a 1999 GMC Yukon (Chevy Tahoe K1500) with 350cid and 230000 km (140K miles), last friday it began leaking rad fluid like crazy. I have narrowed it down to a gasket leak (?) at the lower intake manifold, passenger side just below where the heater hose connects. Is this a common problem with this engine? It appears that the rad fluid was leaking and running along the top of the engine and dripping (rapidly!!) down the back of the engine. Should I be checking anywhere else for common leaks ? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Reply to
Paul Doughty

Yes, very common problem. The gaskets are flawed and will puke out sooner or later. GM has since come out with a better gasket. I'd recommend not driving it until it is fixed as the leak may already be internal as well.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

exactly where i had a problem but mine leaked internal and could have been a disaster if not found right away

Reply to
Frank Ross