Jimmy problem

Sorry for the repost but I did not receive any replies to the first.

There is a noise coming from the drivers side dash that has been getting progressively worse as time passes. When the road is even slightly rough the dash rattles like hell. I bought the truck used 3 years ago with 33,000 miles and it had the rattle but it was very mild. Now it has 57,000 miles the noise is very annoying. To the best of my knowledge the truck was never in any type of accident.

A few questions.

1 Is this a common complaint on Blazers/Jimmys 2 If it is how difficult to cure. 3 If I need a shop to pull the entire dash to find the rattle, how many hours of labor just for the pulling and reinstallation of the dash.

I know it is not the door hinge or the hood, so I am 99.99% sure it is in the dash.

Thanks Double Tap

Reply to
Double Tap

you could always get one of those Haynes manuals and take it apart yourself and save some money. It gives you really easy instructions on how to remove the dash and it could be done on a Saturday afternoon. I know my door panels rattle like hell.....my back tailgate panel rattles like hell...as far as knowing what the heck is going on in there I would just suggest ripping the dash apart and taking a look. Door panels are easy too; on alot of Blazers/Jimmys and s10 trucks the panels start to separate and what I did was strip the panels off and throw a couple rivets in there and smear some fiberglass bondo on it and it is quiet as ever...(oh and lots of DynaMat too...but that is overpriced).

On another note I did actually have a weird noise that I though was coming from the dash and it turned out to be from the HOOD!!! (of all places). Someone on the s10 forum taught me the trick of putting a couple washers on your hood hinge pins and sure as shit it stopped the rattling!!! I put 2 washers all the way around.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Rob

Reply to
honk_on_bobo

here's my two cents-as Rob said and as I read in your origional post, I thought the infamous 'hood rattle'. I know you said that you were

99.99 % sure it wasn't this but...Try this( atleast to discount the fact that it isn't the hood-I would want to be SURE before tearing apart the dash.) Try driving preferably over rougher terrain than a smooth road. Preferably at speeds of 20 ish mph. Do this with the hood latched tight and if you hear the noise do it again with the hood ajar-again not at 50 mph as the hood may open but at 20 mph you should accomplish what we need to. Try it and see. I have also seen multi function switches make glove box(dash area) noise also-this you could unplug under the dash and disable it thus seeing if it quiets your noise. good luck-it may be the dash itself but I've serviced many a Blazer/Jimmy and never tore apart a dash for a noise. Possibly another thought WHERE SAFE-if you have any door pin/bushing looseness try simulating the noise and then opening the door-ajar and see if that quiets the noise. Again good luck and for you my 2 cents is on sale today for free! Later jp

Reply to
blazerman

I tried the open hood latch method of testing. There is no difference in the rattle. It comes from the extreme left near the windshield so I was hopping it was the hood hindge. I will take it to the shop I use this week and ask their opinion and also to add washers. I hope that solves the problem because to pull a dash is anywhere from 6-8 labor and it is not worth the cost no matter how much the rattle irritates me.

Double tap

Reply to
Double Tap