K1500 Fuel Pump - Died at Dealer Service Center - HELP

I took my 1998 K1500 in this week to the dealership to have the intake manifold gaskets replaced. The called me up to tell me the estimate and recommended that I have the whole engine replaced ($5000.00) due to contamination in the lifters (presumably from coolant). I told them I would just like the intake manifold gaskets replaced. The guy seemed upset that I didn't want to spend the $5k (I just figured I would drive the engine until it died and then have it replaced - I sure didnt see any signs of coolant in my engine oil the numerous times I have changed it over the last 50k miles which is how long the intake manifold has been leaking)

So then 10 minutes later I get a call from the dealer - you're truck wont start. The fule pump is bad and we have to replace it - $900. That pretty much shot my budget for the intake manifold replacement (supposed to be $600). So I told them to just get my truck running and get it back to me ... forget the intake manifold gaskets.

I don't understand how my truck can run fine for 120k miles perfectly, I take it into the dealer, the hook it up to a SCAN tool to check the "Service Engine Light" soon light and the fuel pump dies.

Is there someway they could have caused electrical damage to my fuel pump (either static electricity or direct current) from the SCAN tool or from messing with the fuses to get the "Service Engine Light" to go out?

Any help or knowledge about this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Forest

Reply to
Forest Hursey

R&R intake gaskets would cost $20 and 2 hours time, and that is LOAFING while doing it.

The fuel pump is an expensive part $100-$150, and the labor again is a couple hours. Depends on how full the tank is. If full, they will STEAL your gas and charge you a Enviromental fee to dispose of it (burn it in the service managers truck)

Reply to
Im Right

From what I understand, the fuel pumps on these trucks is a "fuel module" or something like that. It's the pump/strainer/sending unit all in one piece, and from what I was told by a few different shops last January when my 1997 Blazer needed one, they can't get just the pump individualy. Of course at the time, I was out of town, and it was butt cold outside, so I had no choise but to have it done right then. I think when all was said and done, with towing, tax and everything, I spent almost $1000 on the fuel pump repair.

The blazer didn't exhibit any signs of trouble, except for earlier in the week not wanting to start once while running an errand. It eventually started for me a few minutes later when I tried it again, and then failed alltogether a week later.

Good luck! NW

Reply to
NetWeasel

"Im Right" wrote

Yeah right! While I can do it under 2 hrs....it's certainly not while "loafing". And just because a person "can" do it in under 2 hrs, doesn't mean that's what the job is worth. It's worth more like between 4 hrs and 4.5 hrs. Done many Vortec intakes lately? We'll get you into our shop quickly if you are willing to be paid only 2 hrs to do these intakes. We can pay you half an hour to do a four wheel brake job too, if you like.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai
.

"Im Right" wrote..........

R&R intake gaskets would cost $20 and 2 hours time, and that is LOAFING while doing it.

-----------

---------- which activated the distress button on snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_kai) 's recliner......chunking him across the room to the keyboard....where he commensed to type this.......

Yeah right!

While I can do it under 2 hrs....it's certainly not while "loafing".

And just because a person "can" do it in under 2 hrs, doesn't mean that's what the job is worth. It's worth more like between 4 hrs and 4.5 hrs.

Done many Vortec intakes lately?

We'll get you into our shop quickly if you are willing to be paid only

2 hrs to do these intakes. We can pay you half an hour to do a four wheel brake job too, if you like.

Ian

ouch!

marsh monster ~:~

Reply to