K1500 Fuel Pump - Died at Dealership Service Center - HELP

I took my 1998 K1500 in this week to the dealership to have the intake manifold gaskets replaced. The called me up to tell me the estimate and recommended that I have the whole engine replaced ($5000.00) due to contamination in the lifters (presumably from coolant). I told them I would just like the intake manifold gaskets replaced. The guy seemed upset that I didn't want to spend the $5k (I just figured I would drive the engine until it died and then have it replaced - I sure didnt see any signs of coolant in my engine oil the numerous times I have changed it over the last 50k miles which is how long the intake manifold has been leaking)

So then 10 minutes later I get a call from the dealer - you're truck wont start. The fule pump is bad and we have to replace it - $900. That pretty much shot my budget for the intake manifold replacement (supposed to be $600). So I told them to just get my truck running and get it back to me ... forget the intake manifold gaskets.

I don't understand how my truck can run fine for 120k miles perfectly, I take it into the dealer, the hook it up to a SCAN tool to check the "Service Engine Light" soon light and the fuel pump dies.

Is there someway they could have caused electrical damage to my fuel pump (either static electricity or direct current) from the SCAN tool or from messing with the fuses to get the "Service Engine Light" to go out?

Any help or knowledge about this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Forest

Reply to
Forest Hursey
.

K1500 Fuel Pump - Died at Dealership Service Center - HELP Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Wed, Oct 8, 2003, 10:38pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@insight.rr.com (Forest=A0Hursey) I took my 1998 K1500 in this week to the dealership to have the intake manifold gaskets replaced. The called me up to tell me the estimate and recommended that I have the whole engine replaced ($5000.00) due to contamination in the lifters (presumably from coolant). I told them I would just like the intake manifold gaskets replaced. The guy seemed upset that I didn't want to spend the $5k (I just figured I would drive the engine until it died and then have it replaced - I sure didnt see any signs of coolant in my engine oil the numerous times I have changed it over the last 50k miles which is how long the intake manifold has been leaking) So then 10 minutes later I get a call from the dealer - you're truck wont start. The fule pump is bad and we have to replace it - $900. That pretty much shot my budget for the intake manifold replacement (supposed to be $600). So I told them to just get my truck running and get it back to me ... forget the intake manifold gaskets. I don't understand how my truck can run fine for 120k miles perfectly, I take it into the dealer, the hook it up to a SCAN tool to check the "Service Engine Light" soon light and the fuel pump dies. Is there SOMEWAY.. they could have caused electrical damage to my fuel pump (either static electricity or direct current) from the SCAN tool or from messing with the fuses to get the "Service Engine Light" to go out?

Any help or knowledge about this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Forest ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Forest, Yes......there's a way they could have caused electrical damage to your fuel pump from the SCAN tool.

Scrib Abell ~:~will be right back....the Crown Royal needs releasing~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

K1500 Fuel Pump - Died at Dealership Service Center - HELP Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Wed, Oct 8, 2003, 10:38pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@insight.rr.com (Forest=A0Hursey) I took my 1998 K1500 in this week to the dealership to have the intake manifold gaskets replaced. The called me up to tell me the estimate and recommended that I have the whole engine replaced ($5000.00) due to contamination in the lifters (presumably from coolant). I told them I would just like the intake manifold gaskets replaced. The guy seemed upset that I didn't want to spend the $5k (I just figured I would drive the engine until it died and then have it replaced - I sure didnt see any signs of coolant in my engine oil the numerous times I have changed it over the last 50k miles which is how long the intake manifold has been leaking) So then 10 minutes later I get a call from the dealer - you're truck wont start. The fule pump is bad and we have to replace it - $900. That pretty much shot my budget for the intake manifold replacement (supposed to be $600). So I told them to just get my truck running and get it back to me ... forget the intake manifold gaskets. I don't understand how my truck can run fine for 120k miles perfectly, I take it into the dealer, the hook it up to a SCAN tool to check the "Service Engine Light" soon light and the fuel pump dies. Is there someway they could have caused electrical damage to my fuel pump (either static electricity or direct current) from the SCAN tool or from messing with the fuses to get the "Service Engine Light" to go out? Any help or knowledge about this would be appreciated. Thanks. Forest =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Forest, how much gas was in the tank when you carried in to the dealer?

Marsh Monster ~:~inquiring minds need to know~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I'd like to hear the details on how that's possible. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I don't know why they wanted to sell the entire engine so badly.. As long as they made it understood they didn't want to have to eat the engine if it failed in 12000 miles or 1 yr from the intake job... That's probably the main reason..As far as the intake leaking just externally for 50k miles, don't you think it could have been leaking internally? once an engine gets hot enough, it can boil off water in the crankcase and the pcv will burn the steam off... damage is done, without much evidence.. If they saw some sign of internal damage they may have gotten paranoid... Say if something happens

3 weeks from now, and it needs an engine.. Who's gonna get the blame... The Dealer of course cuz they just did the intake.. as far as the fuel pump failing while it was at the dealer.. It happens... I don't see any way a scan tool can cause damage, or static either.. It's simply an electric motor..windings and bearings, and brushes and such... as far as shorting voltage to it from the fuse panel, All that would do is make it run.Is this the original fuel pump??? At 120k it should almost be changed as a maintenance.You mention a check engine light.. why was the truck brought in?? coolant leak or check engine light? or both? Not trying to defend, just trying to get my 2 cents in.... Bobo

Reply to
Bobo

Reply to
Scott M

Yeah, and like Gary Glaenzers grandfather used to say; "this better be good."

Reply to
Neil Nelson

The service engine light was on because of low coolant. This is what they told me.

I agreee with it leaking internally. In fact I figured it would have been. I am sure there is contamination. I just thought that usually the crankcase oil would appear "milky" or frothy from coolant contamination. It just stinks that I wasted $1000.00. They didn't tell me anything that I didnt already know.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Forest Hursey

The gas tank was completely full.

Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Wed, Oct 8, 2003, 10:38pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@insight.rr.com (Forest Hursey) I took my 1998 K1500 in this week to the dealership to have the intake manifold gaskets replaced. The called me up to tell me the estimate and recommended that I have the whole engine replaced ($5000.00) due to contamination in the lifters (presumably from coolant). I told them I would just like the intake manifold gaskets replaced. The guy seemed upset that I didn't want to spend the $5k (I just figured I would drive the engine until it died and then have it replaced - I sure didnt see any signs of coolant in my engine oil the numerous times I have changed it over the last 50k miles which is how long the intake manifold has been leaking) So then 10 minutes later I get a call from the dealer - you're truck wont start. The fule pump is bad and we have to replace it - $900. That pretty much shot my budget for the intake manifold replacement (supposed to be $600). So I told them to just get my truck running and get it back to me ... forget the intake manifold gaskets. I don't understand how my truck can run fine for 120k miles perfectly, I take it into the dealer, the hook it up to a SCAN tool to check the "Service Engine Light" soon light and the fuel pump dies. Is there someway they could have caused electrical damage to my fuel pump (either static electricity or direct current) from the SCAN tool or from messing with the fuses to get the "Service Engine Light" to go out? Any help or knowledge about this would be appreciated. Thanks. Forest ============

Forest, how much gas was in the tank when you carried in to the dealer?

Marsh Monster ~:~inquiring minds need to know~:~

Reply to
Forest Hursey

I drove from Albany, NY to Flushing, NYC, NY and back on a Tues. Filled my tank on my way to work Wed. and the pump quit 5 miles later, before I got to work. It happens.

I now try not to go under 1/2 tank much, I always used to run it close to empty because I was usually too lazy to fill it when it got to 1/2. I now try to fill it at 1/2 tank, but the gauge now reads wrong, has since the pump was replaced, but I hate to bug the shop on such a trivial matter, I can fill based on miles on the tank.

Reply to
Mike Levy

with the hammer and sickle

Reply to
KJ

"Marsh Monster" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2317.public.lawson.webtv.net... .

[...]

-------------------------- OK, Im waiting for the explanation too. This is going to be very entertaining. :)

Reply to
Scott M

???????????

Reply to
Neil Nelson
~

[...]

Is there SOMEWAY they could have caused electrical damage to my fuel pump (either static electricity or direct current) from the SCAN tool or from messing with the fuses to get the "Service Engine Light" to go out? Any help or knowledge about this would be appreciated. Thanks. Forest =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Forest, =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0how much gas was in the tank when you carried in to the dealer?

Marsh Monster ~:~inquiring minds need to know~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Thu, Oct 9, 2003, 2:35am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@insight.rr.com (Forest=A0Hursey)

The gas tank was completely full. "Marsh Monster"

Forest =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Forest, low fuel "would have" increased the "possibility" that the technician running the scanner in SOMEWAY overheated the fuel pump ....... "IF" he repeatedly ran "systems pass" tests with the scanner........actuating the fuel pump repeatedly in the process.

"IF" the vehical had ran out of gas at the dealership, and the technician using the scanner wasn't bright enough to figure it out... then continuous cranking along with "system pass" tests with the scanner "could have" led to the failure of the fuel pump.

those are just two possibilities of how the fuel pump could have SOMEWAY been carried out while hooked to a scanner..........

wonder if brighter minds in the NG could offer any more scenarios....with a full tank..????

any whoooo..... hopefully we answered your question.

Scribs Abell (R-U) .

Reply to
Scribb Abell

"Scribb Abell" wrote

How? Keeping in mind that this is a 1998 truck. Low fuel level has no bearing on the cooling of the fuel pump. I have to assume that you will know why!

How...again?

I'd say that's a real big "if". Grasping for straws is more like it.

I'm the worst guy for running around with my fuel tank on E all the time....and I have yet to burn up one of the in tank fuel pumps in the few cars I've owned that had in tank fuel pumps.

Then there was my wife's Audi, she kept the tank full all the time (two different personalities, obviously) and I put 3 pumps in that vehicle over a 7 year span.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

. Re: K1500 Fuel Pump - Died at Dealership Service Center - HELP Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Oct 10, 2003, 11:07pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_kai) =3D=3D "Scribb Abell" wrote Forest, =A0=A0low fuel "would have" increased the "possibility" that the technician running the scanner in SOMEWAY overheated the fuel pump .... How? Keeping in mind that this is a 1998 truck. Low fuel level has no bearing on the cooling of the fuel pump. I have to assume that you will know why!

~:~given the option....i will prefer you to assume that i know why~:~

=3D=3D "IF" he repeatedly ran "systems pass" tests with the scanner........actuating the fuel pump repeatedly in the process. ... How...again?

~:~the same way as the first way~:~

=3D=3D IF" the vehical had ran out of gas at the dealership, and the technician using the scanner wasn't bright enough to figure it out...then continuous cranking along with "system ass" tests with the scanner "could have" led to the failure of the fuel pump. =A0... I'd say that's a real big "if". Grasping for straws is more like it.

~:~i'd say that too...and the guy was grasping for SOMEWAY....he never asked if we actually thought the tech did it....he only asked if SOMEWAY it could have been done..... i wuz thunk'n ....HE wuz grasp'n for hope...... ....you know me IAN......i jest guessed i'd give him some help his paranoia ..~:~

I'm the worst guy for running around with my fuel tank on E all the time....and I have yet to burn up one of the in tank fuel pumps in the few cars I've owned that had in tank fuel pumps. Then there was my wife's Audi, she kept the tank full all the time (two different personalities, obviously) and I put 3 pumps in that vehicle over a 7 year span.

Ian =3D=3D=3D=3D ~:~ inserts by scrib~:~

Reply to
Scribb Abell