loud engine noise after ignition

I just bought a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4x4 with a v6 and I am curious about some loud engine noise after starting the car and taking off out of park. After I start up the Blazer the engine sounds like a high powered fan. It gets louder as I accelerate until it reaches 2nd gear. Being that this is my first truck I'm not sure if this a normal. I'm not sure if maybe it is idling high or if it may be something more serious. If anyone out there has any idea what this could be I would appreciate the help. Thanks

Reply to
bed head

Mike Levy

Have an 02 Blazer that does the same thing every morning too, just the fan clutch... FWIW mine takes about 5 blocks before she quiets down

-Brian

Reply to
Hey Paizan

there is no pattern..... the fan clutch is more or less like a torque convertor with a temp. sensitive silicone fluid as the transfer medium. (there are some new vehicles with electric fan clutches, but your '94 doesn't have one). the fluid is more viscous when cold AND when it gets hot. when the fluid reaches operating temp (by shearing the fluid for the first mile or so... that's why it's loud when it's cold) the clutch allows the fan to run below engine RPM's, saving power AND gas. when the radiator starts putting out extra heat (large load and/or the AC being on) it warms the fluid in the clutch, causing it to thicken and speeds the fan to engine RPM.

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

. . . . loud engine noise after ignition Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 20, 2003, 10:18pm From: bedhead snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (bed=A0head)

I just bought a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4x4 with a v6 and I am curious about some loud engine noise after starting the car and taking off out of park.

After I start up the Blazer the engine sounds like a high powered fan.

It gets louder as I accelerate until it reaches 2nd gear.

Being that this is my first truck I'm not sure if this a normal. I'm not sure if maybe it is idling high or if it may be something more serious. If anyone out there has any idea what this could be I would appreciate the help.

Thanks =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D I would go under the hood and make sure you can turn the fan by hand.

an old trick for bad fan clutches that don't work....is to lock them up mechanically... a side effect is that the thing sounds like a bi-plane on take off.

any whoo....

check that first....and if it does turn..then crank the truck up and make sure the noise is actually coming from the fan, which I doubt, if the fan clutch will turn fairly easily by hand.

marshmonster ~:~

Reply to
Scrib Abell

So if my 89 S15 4.4l isn't loud at start-up, does that mean the fan clutch isn't working?

Reply to
High Sierra

. . . . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Oct 20, 2003, 10:18pm From: bedhead snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (bed head)

I just bought a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4x4 with a v6 and I am curious about some loud engine noise after starting the car and taking off out of park.

After I start up the Blazer the engine sounds like a high powered fan.

It gets louder as I accelerate until it reaches 2nd gear.

=A0=A0Be I would go under the hood and make sure you can turn the fan by hand.

snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (High=A0Sierra)

So if my 89 S15 4.4l isn't loud at start-up,

does that mean the fan clutch isn't working?

Reply to
Marsh Monster

"Marsh Monster" wrote

Run the thing down the road for about 15 minutes or so....

leave the motor running and pop the hood...

now.....

shove yer hand down in there and try to stop the fan from spinning........

do a repost and tell us what how the diagnostics went...

MarshMonster ~learned that trick from Nubbs McFarkle~

ouch.... ;)

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

if you look at the fan BEFORE you start the engine, you can tell which way the fan will turn and on which side to put your hand. it's actually a pretty old trick....however get the wrong side of the fan and your new nickname will be "stubby"

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Reminds me of that Australian that stops various fan devises with strange body parts. Head, tongue, nose, hand, fingers, legs.... he said he's thinking of stopping a propeller sometime......\

I'd want to see this one performed before I gave it a try though.

Reply to
KJ

. . . . Re: loud engine noise after ignition..testing Fan Clutches... Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Oct 24, 2003, 4:26pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@notgonnatellya.net (Bret=A0Chase)

if you look at the fan BEFORE you start the engine, you can tell which way the fan will turn and on which side to put your hand. it's actually a pretty old trick....however get the wrong side of the fan and your new nickname will be "stubby"

he'd been more apt to remember what he's doin wrond if he'd lost a fanger.

marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Damm, that hurts. :-)