Maintenance suggestion request

Hi All,

Next week my 91 suburban will be going to the mechanic to change the intake manifold gasket. Is there anything else they should be when they have the engine open??? I was going to have them check the stretch of the timing chain, wear on the distributor, relash the valves, change the thermostat and housing gasket and new TBI gasket (since the fuel lines are disconnected). The engine has 150k on it and I want it to last another

100k. The engine does not burn a drop of oil and still runs as it did when it was new. Thanks for the suggestions...

mark

Reply to
r_d

Valves are hydraulic so they do not need to be relashed. TBI gasket is a good idea and maybe Tstat too. To visually inspect chain requires additional tear down and if you do, you should change the chain while it is apart. Do not use GM gaskets, use FelPro

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Have them replace the valve cover gaskets. Instruct them to NOT use the rubber or cork at the manifold ends. Have them use a 1/4 inch bead of high-quality silicone. With 150,000 miles, a new water pump, roller timing set, and thermostat are a must. Have them use fel-pro gaskets everywhere. Since the pan will be loose to do the timing cover, also have them replace the pan gasket and rear seal.

Everything is under the assumption that you are willing to pay a good chunk of change to have it done. It is entirely up to you

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
David Johnson

Are you sure about the 1pc seal in '91? I thought it was mid '90's... I could be wrong, it happens once in a great while.

lol

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
David Johnson

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate your help.

mark

Reply to
r_d

Try 1986/1987 Production year. Hence the term 1986 & up Roller Cam Block.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I know the engine in my '88 was 2pc, and I have an engine out of a '90 that I am pretty sure is 2pc(I will check tomorrow).

Reply to
Shades