Strange Coolant leak from inside the trans bellhousing 1999 Caravan 3.3L

Hi. My wife's 1999 caravan (120K miles, 3.3L, Automatic) started leaking coolant from inside transmission bellhousing. I checked both heads and didn't see any leaks. I pressure tested it, and the coolant came streaming out of the inspection cover...it drips pretty severe even without pressure applied.

My question is there a freeze plug in the back of the 3.3L engine...or a bypass tube under the intake manifold? I have to decide to either pull the trans to look, or pull the intake to see if there is a tube. I'm thinking it's probably a freeze plug, but I'd like to be a bit more confident before I get started.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Rwillits

You would be able to se if it is coming from the top and draining down into the bell housing. Just because you cant see the head gasket leaking from behind doesnt mean the head gasket is not leaking under the intake manifold, or possibly the intake manifold is leaking. If a freeze plug was going to leak, normally the rear ones behind the engine leak first. I would take a mirro and have a good look on top of the trans area. My opinion only

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

make sure the heaterhoses are not squirting coolant on the upper trans case on the bac side then running down and appearing to come from then belhousing i have not seen freeze plugs leak on the 3.3 but it can sure can happen did the van ever have any engine or trans work done in the past that might have disturbed the freeze plugs ??

damnnickname wrote:

Reply to
philthy

Thanks for the responses. I pulled the trans today...and sure enough one of the freeze plugs has a hole in it. I'll fix it tomorrow and be running again.

Regards,

rwillits66

Reply to
Rwillits