Mileage estimates

Real life owners of 07 GMC 4WD 5.3(LH6), 3.73, Z71...Unloaded city and Hi Way. Window sticker 16/20 TIA

Reply to
Meebers

Maybe if you drive like an old lady.....

Reply to
nonsense

Naah!! I drive in my lane, not over curbs and will most likely get into

4th gear the majority of the time.
Reply to
Meebers

Don't look for 16/20 then.

Reply to
nonsense

Also be advised that when they do the EPA MPG test the everage speed on highway test is 48 MPH and max speed is 59. I do not know anyone that averages 48 MPH on highway around here. Also something else they do not tell you on sticker, MPG tests are conducted using 93 octane fuel and have been for many many years but the "law" does not require that to disclose this on window sticker.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan
2006 Chevy Z71, 5.3L, 3.42...Unloaded, suburb driving

Real mileage using E85 and max speed 60 and usually 35 to 45.

14 MPG

Karl

Reply to
Silverado

Tx Karl....My present vehicle, 02 5.3, 3.42, auto, lists 15/19 on sticker. I drive most in city, 80% and have tracked mpg since new and its average to date is 16.51. Todays fill up @ Costco, 87 grade was 208.1/12.701 = 16.38 (1198.1 Eng hrs). The E85 fuel, is cheaper?? but gets less mileage than regular gas??

Reply to
Meebers

E85 is 20 to 30 cents cheaper than 87 octane gas. I just thought I'd run 4 or 5 tankfulls and check the mileage. I think I'll go back to 87 octane and check it after 4 or 5 tankfulls. It will be easy then to see if one is really cheaper than the other.

I don't see much difference in performance but I am not hauling or pulling anything.

Karl

Reply to
Silverado

The heat energy in fuel drives a engine. pure gas has about 125,000 BTU per gallon and Ethanol about 68,000 BTU a gallon. E85 has around

80,000 BYU a gallon so do the math , MPG will be less. Also Alchol is considered a preburnt fuel (high carbon content) and what this means is that a car running on E85 also emits about 50% more CO2 per mile too but politicains do not tell you that either.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I believe I have seen this info before, tx for comfirmation. Just wondering about the "active Fuel management" that is on the 2007 5.3 engine and if it really did something or was 90% marketing and 10% fact. :0) Checking the lesser cost of the E85 fuel vrs decreased ?? mileage/performance will be an interesting test.

Reply to
Meebers

Acording to fueleconomy.gov, a 2007 model converted to new rating being used starting in 2008 in a attempt to make them more accurate, it will be rated at 13/17 on gas and 10/13 on E85. A new Dodge half ton 4x4 with a 4.7 in typical Dodge fashion for lowest ratings will be rated at 8/12 on E85 (same for durango)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan