Duramax mileage?

I am curious to find out from all you Duramax owners what you are getting for gas mileage on your trucks empty and loaded? Maybe I haven't searched hard enough, but so far I have not been able to find any real world numbers.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Don't own a Duramax, but I spent some time visiting with a real estate agent in Oregon this summer that owns one. We were driving one day and I asked him what mileage, he punched the buttons on his on board computer and stated that as of that point he had averaged 19.2 mpg overall since purchase. Truck had 22 miles on it when accepted, immediately a BD products chip was put in, and the truck had 22,000 plus at the time I asked him. That averaged road mileage, standing time when running, and both unloaded and loaded.

Seemed good to me.

George Vigneron

Reply to
George Vigneron

You and he *believed* the onboard computer without any other verification?

Reply to
David Kelly

As I have previous experience where an onboard computer proved to be accurate within a couple of points I had no reason not to believe. He indicted that he was really pleased with the amount of fuel he burned compared to his prior truck.

No, I didn't pry for information nor did I question his or his trucks credibility. Didn't seem the polite thing to do.

YMMV

George Vigneron

Reply to
George Vigneron

You and he *believed* the onboard computer without any other verification?

David and all, I have a 2003 2400HD Duramax far as I can tell it's getting 15 - 17 with no load and 12-13 with light Toy Hauler trailer. We live at alt 4750 ft and travel over the Sierra/Nevada mountains mostly. The truck has a 4" after market exhaust, chip and intake relief system.

Dale P......

Reply to
Dale Peterson

Just for the sake of a simple answer, I get 17-20 mpg unloaded (depending on how right footed I feel) and 10-14 with about 6000 lbs of trailer. I have a

2002 2500HD Duramax with the crew cab and long (8') bed, no 4WD.
Reply to
SpaseKase

I have previous experience with onboard computers being badly optimistic. Same for speedometers and odometers.

One reason I measure and verify MPG at the pump is that I have a terrible time estimating fuel consumption any other way accurately enough to know if I'm happy or not. Especially if I'm moving from one vehicle to another.

Even at the pump I find it takes an average of several fills to get an accurate picture of what is happening. Of my current vehicles only the Toyota Avalon has an MPG computer, and its not bad. Displays about 2 MPG low on open road. Resets every time the engine is started so it can't be compared for city driving. Is the best I've used enough to have an informed opinion of. Others have been off by 20%.

Vividly remember one kid with a popular-for-teens car declaring his undying newfound loyalty to 93 octane Exxon gasoline. All because the first 80 miles or so his fuel gage didn't move as much as he was used to seeing.

Reply to
David Kelly

Just got 22 mpg with a light bed full load.

13-14 with a quad and generator in the bed, and towing a heavy 29' travel trailer

Jody

Reply to
Jody