OT--Jeep

anyone see that bit on TV today with a two engined concept jeep with 4-wheel steering?...drove around in 10 foot circles..looked more like a
kiddy car
didn't see the bit, but I saw the one you're talking about 6 months ago when it was first unveiled.
That "Kiddy Car" has two hemis, hydropneumatic suspension, 4 wheel independent trailing-arm suspension <similar to the Warthog in Halo>, portal-axle hub boxes with independent shaft drive to each wheel, and dual transfer cases. It can also function as a 4,6,8,or 16-cylinder vehicle, by way of engine management similar to the Northstar system's limp-home function <except it's done for varying perfromance levels>.
I'd say it's pretty bad-ass. It's got the grunt to out-tow most factory diesel trucks on the consumer market, speed to embarass a Viper, and offroad prowess to embarass all but the most well-designed rockcrawling Jeeps <possibly even the moon buggies that are currently dominating the series>.
Of course, it's not production. Yet. <DC seems to be developing a reputation for bringing concepts to market>. I really think we'll see something very similar to this suspension in a redesign of the Wrangler within 5 years. Solid axles are on the way out all over the hardcore 4X4 segment <even Rover has gone IFS and 4WIS> and to keep the Wrangler drawing the buyers it has, it'll HAVE to perform well offroad without lifting wheels off the terrain left and right. Not too easy with independent suspension unless you go really wide or put the engine somewhere other than in the front or rear. Check out SCORE truggy design for an idea of what I'm talking about.