1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee shudders while turning

I own a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 120k miles on it. It is a 4.0 liter with select track.

Lately I have been experiancing a shudder while turning in two wheel drive. At first I thought it was s front alignment problem becasue it looked like one of the front tires (left front) might have been wearing on the inside a little but that seem to check out OK. The harder the turn, the worse the shudder. Its almost like it is not in two wheel drive. Its not real bad yet.

Another problem which might be related is that I hear (not really feel) a vibration between 55 and 65 mph. The only way to describe it is that there are two tones that are not quite the same and you can hear the difference. (beat freq)

I dont recall when the noise started but I replaced the tires (Bridgstones) about 13k miles ago. I put the same tires on but went up a size 225 to 235.

I'm starting to wonder now if it is a vicous coupler problem.

Anyone else experiance a problem like this?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike R

it will be a coupler issue if you did not put 4 tires on it and only replaced 2

Mike R wrote:

Reply to
mic canic

All four tires were replaced.

If it is a viscous coupler, does it have to be replaced?

Thanks Mike

(Bridgstones)

Reply to
Mike R

Did your last set of tires actually have an uneven wear pattern?

If so I would take it to a good alignment shop.

Mike

Mike R wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain