Popping out of Overdrive

ok i have a 93 Geo Tracker. it runs smoothly untill i put it into overdrive then 1 to 2 seconds later is wants to go into neutral popping out of gear. can any one tell my the cause/s of this? thanks

Reply to
creepykid87

Broken synchrony is what it sounds like.

Reply to
Shades

DAMN SPELL CHECK!!!

Broken synchro is what it sounds like.

Reply to
Shades

========================

I can.

hopefully the question you asked.......... wuz answered to yer satisfaction.

~:~ Marsh Monster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

A synchronizer aids engagement but it does not keep it in a gear. It is either a worn shifter fork, linkage not full engaging gear, a worn detent ball or a worm main shaft.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

If the synchro is broken it will expand under power and disengage the gear it in. I know this to be fact because I have experienced it first hand and known it to be the problem from friends. I never claimed it kept it in gear but it WILL push it out of gear if its broken.

I also did not definitively say that a broken synchro was the problem...I merely gave my opinion that it sounds like one.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
TheSnoMan

It is NOT only a sign of abuse. It can also be a sign of a faulty synchro, bad shift, bad luck, spinning tire on ice then grabbing on non icy area...

You need to worry less about attacking other suggestions and more about helping the original posters. Just because a problem, solution, situation, or happening hasn't been experienced by you or anyone you know does NOT mean that it is not a common occurrence for someone else...maybe even the original poster. Something rare in your area might be common place in others.

Reply to
Shades

No you need to get facts straight. The syncro does not carry the torque load after engagement nor was it designed too. It only aid engagement and spinning tires on ice and then grabiing will not hurt syncro at all. The main shafts, detents, shifter forks and bearing tightness is what keeps it in gear, not syncros. It is possible for a busted syncro to block full engagement on a gear selection and thereby cause it to pop out of gear but not very likely here and if it was broken you would have trouble engaging the gear smoothly too. Provide correct accurate advise or none at all. BTW, I read a LOT of TSB's and recall info on LOTS of models to see if there are patterns to some failures of interest and I have a engineering background so I do know how and why things work. Back off.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

You attacking me seems to be a habit you developed. I know what the facts are and have experienced them, DESPITE your attitude and obvious dislike of me. I HAVE had the problem with broken synchros DESPITE what you've read and despite your experiences.

I have been working on vehicles for nearly 30yrs and have come across things that defy the laws of physics. Even some things that would make Murphy scratch his head.

I never claimed that synchros carry a load, nor that they hold the gears together, nor that a broken synchro was even his problem. I stated an opinion, which is what the OP wanted to begin with. YOU on the other hand only saw a reason to attack me, my experiences, my knowledge, and my intelegence.

I dont know what your problem is with me, but I do know that it is YOUR problem and I am no longer going to deal with it...

Unfortunatly I will no longer have access to the often great advise and opinions you have given to others because you are now added to my ignore list.

I apologise to all in this NG for this thread going FAR off topic and turning into a personal issue with SnowMan and myself.

Reply to
Shades

Sorry for the unintentional addition of the w in SnoMan...

Reply to
Shades

No I do not attack, I just point out the facts and you take exception to them.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

You made it personal not me. It does not matter whether I like someone of not, I treat them the same without bias.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

i really dont know its im trying to find a very of a manual trans that way i can fix it

Reply to
creepykid87

i see every one has their own oppinion but that is not the reason for this post i was just looking for reasons why this would happen and ther are many why it would.

but every one shouldnt be bitting off eachothers heads. every one has their own experiance with cars some more than others but some are right and some a wrong. though if one knows the other is wwrong then be NICE and tell them nicely the causes. and yes things do happen were on thing can lead to another and have a different reaction.

Reply to
creepykid87

holy cow that was a load of shit (i cant type to day or form words ...and so one) what i ment is that i dont know and im trying very hard to find a inside view of the manual trans that way i can try to fix it.

Reply to
creepykid87

Reply to
Robert Francis