problems with 4x4 engagement

Having problems with 4x4 engagement. got 181k miles on truck. Changed the

4x4 actuator and harness 2-3 years ago at the shop. For same problem. When putting the lever from 2wd to 4x4 hi or low 70% of time it will engage. The other times it will not. The indicator light goes on but actual engagement does not accrue. The indicator light flickers when accelerating. This problem is most prevalent when OAT is cool @ 34 or lower. Some one once said check the floor lever linkage as it might be gunked up???/
Reply to
John Cupsta

could you give some info about the truck.. aka year, model? makes a big difference between an S truck and a full size and 88-97 or 98 up.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

If you have a 88-98 full size, when the actuator was replaced, was it the new updated style or was it replaced with the old style one? I have a 96 that had the same problem, Actuator went out while in the woods deer hunting, luckily had a winch to pull my ass out of there, but when it was replaced, they replaced it with the old style again, same problem again. It takes forever to engage, especially when it is colder out. I was told the old ones have approx 3 - 5 year life, The new one "supposively" electric that when you " Lock it In" it is suppose to be like RIGHT NOW. The old one glides through some type of wax seal that when it is colder out it tends to make it harder to physically get it to engage, the light will go on, but it truly isn't locked in. Hope this helps.

Reply to
GM

inline....

same problem,

again, same

I was told

there's nothing suppsed about it. the 98-up actuator uses a small electric motor to push the plunger in and out. I have one in my '88 K2500.

electric that when

yep, damn near instant.

The old one glides through

to physically

actually, the old actuator works by heating a small amount of gas, which expands and pushes out the plunger. since it works be heat, the colder it is out, the longer it takes to engage. the light shouldn't engage unless the diff is actually engaged, as the switch for the light is a seperate position switch in the axle. if the light comes on and it's still not engaged, you've got 3 options: bad position switch and bad actuator, a busted t-case, or a broken axle

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

------------

Do you know than part number for the new style?

HDS

Reply to
HDS

26060073 is the GM part #. you'll have to talk to the parts dept at the dealership for the correct adapter harness, as there are several.

hth, Bret

btw... you can't get the old actuator from GM anymore, the new actuator is the service replacement for it, except for some very specific trucks in the early 90's.

Reply to
Bret Chase

Only problem is, if you're planning to do the replacement yourself and go to the local parts store you'll have to ask which they carry, most will tell you it's a dealer part, if so you will get the new one, but others do carry the part and who knows how long they've been on the shelf. The local Carquest carries them but are still the old style, so be sure to ask if your a do it yourselfer.

Reply to
GM

the local parts store you'll have to ask which they carry, most will tell

the part and who knows how long they've been on the shelf. The local

a do it yourselfer.

there's no problem if you just go to the dealer. you need to go there anyways to get the harness.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thank you very much. The new actuator sounds great. Always hated that slow engagement.

HDS

Reply to
HDS