Explorer 4x4 problems

I have a 1993 Ford Explorer that when I try to put into 4x4 the light comes on but no 4x4. When I push the low range button in nuetral, both lights go off and I hear what sounds to be a relay clicking (junk relay?). It's getting to be winter and it is nice to have 4x4 in the snow. Help!!!

Reply to
Rock Nuss

How long has it been since you've used the 4X4? Sometimes the mechanical works to engage the feature can gum up, and you will have to go to a service place and have them do maintenance on the engagement linkage.

(Happened to me years ago; possibly the newer linkage is somewhat similar?)

HR.

Reply to
Rowbotth

those motors on the transfer case have a bad habit of becomeing stuck if not 'exercised' regularly

sometimes you can free them by GEBTLY tapping on them as someone tries to cycle it from 2WD to 4WD

GENTLE is the word, since this is a permanent magent motor and too much impact will fracture the magnets

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

It's been since the begining of summer since last engaged. Is there any way to lube it myself? Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Rock Nuss

nope

trying to get the motor apart, especially if it's seized, is the classic 'exercise in futility'

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Those motors can and do seize but I've found several that quit working because of an open circuit in the position sensor. The sensor is behind that round cover on the back of the actuator. Index the cover and remove the 3 anti tamper screws to get the cover off. A few minutes with an eraser and some fine emery paper has most of them working like new again. Bob

Reply to
Bob