'02 Tundra 4x4 ?

Just bought a '02 Tundra with 5200 miles on it. When I try to engage the

4WD system all I get is a flashing 4x4 light on the dash. I know about the engagement speed and that isn't the problem. I've tried while moving, stopped, in drive, in park, everything. Any ideas that I might check before heading to the dealer?

V-8

4x4 Access Cab Limited Slip Differential
Reply to
Thomas A. Laubenthal

Hate to tell you this, but I think you've got a ruined transfer case. I bought an 2000 Tundra 4x4 and the first time I took it out 4 wheeling the transfer case broke on me. The symptoms were the same as yours, flashing 4x4 light.... It was replaced under warranty (with free rental car:) and has been working flawlessy ever since.

Maybe you have a different issue, but it sure looks the same to me from here. Should be covered under warranty.

Cliff

Reply to
CHChammer

Check that the cabel to the transfer case isn't unplugged/disconnected. If it's not that it could be lots of things.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

You can switch into 4-hi anytime except when under heavy load. In that case, it'll shift as soon as you back off the gas, or end the decelleration.

You need to be stopped and shifter in Neutral to shift into 4-lo.

If these don't work, head for the dealer. As part of the drivetrain, the warranty is 5-yrs/60,000 miles.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

And the verdict is...

Initiator was bad and that led to the computer malfunctioning. Don't know if this vehicle has only 1 computer or if there is a separate computer for the 4x4 system. Replaced computer and initiator. Works great now. Sunnyside Toyota in North Olmsted, OH. couldn't diagnose problem in three days (3 different tech's.!). Metro Toyota in Cleveland, OH. diagnosed problem in about 3 hours. Computer had to be special ordered (west coast - none in Cincinnati or Chicago). Arrived and installed 3 days later. Sunnyside Toyota didn't want to provide rental car. Metro Toyota (after diagnosing problem) gave me keys to a rental car before I could even ask. Service Writer handed me keys and said "bring it back full of gas". That was great service! Don't know what s going on at Sunnyside...

Reply to
talaub