Question about S10

Is a 99 S10 Blazer with 90k on the clock a bad investment? it has had a full service history.

What would I look for?

Thanks

Reply to
Paul A Brown

90k is nothing for the 4.3 which will easily run to 200k; the 4L60e transmission is decent IF the prior owner changed the fluid at regular intervals and didn't haul anything too heavy with the truck. Can't answer the question if it's a bad investment as I haven't seen it and don't know what the sticker is.

My buddy just bought a 00' Blazer w/75k and he loves it. Great little SUV's.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

don't forget about the 'TCC regulator valve time bomb' in the 60E's

at 90 k he's on borrowed time if it hasn't been fixed yet

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Given fluid and filter changes every 15k (Mobil 1 ATF and OE filters) and ZERO hauling on a 98' Sonoma SLS (the wifey's truck), how long the TCC regulator valve hold out? What about the nefarious P1870. How long with perfect maintenance does one have?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

the

I see them about 50-80 k, regardless of maintenance history

The P-1870 is a result of the TCC regulator valve wearing the VB bore

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Gary, How bad is that valve to replace Before problems. Best solution you have found?

Reply to
Steve W.

well, since the wear is in the valve body itself, it must be replaced with a valve-and-sleeve combo

I bought the reamer to do it, since I see anywhere from 3-8 a month

If you catch it right when it starts (first instance of code P1870 appearing), reaming and sleeving the valve body will fix it

If you keep driving it, it doesn't take long to fry the converter clutch lining

Best solution? Take it to an independent transmission shop that does a lot of trucks, ask them if they can do the 'Sonnax' repair to the torque converter regulator valve

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Is this a problem also on the 1995 Blazer? (new body)

Reply to
VLH

OK, OK, OK. I had a '98 that I got rid of because of the studdering and then the hard shift from first to second. It was that valve, I believe. I bought my 2002 with a stick just to make sure I didn't get that problem again. My question is: Why hasn't GM just done a total recall and then fixed the thing from the start. Maybe put a sleeve in from the factory, etc.?

Thanks!

Reply to
Rebecca Chua Enriquez

"Rebecca Chua Enriquez" sez:

Because most of them blow after the warranty is up so they don't care?

VLJ

-- Christmas is coming and then, We'll proclaim our love of all men. But be of good cheer, Come the change in the year, We can all be bastards again.

Reply to
vlj

Does the tranny have to be pulled for this repair? Now I've got something else to worry about.

Brody

Reply to
brody

Mine blow last march with 20K on the clock! Luckily it was under warranty.

Reply to
Brian Jones