Re: Front Diff question:

When you say in auto 4wd I am assuming you have a NVG 246 transfer

>case and you have selected the AWD button. If that is correct then it >sounds like your clutch pack is not correcting for the correct torque. > If your front diff was repaired for bearing nose, did it also cause >the clutch pack in transfer case to require rebuilding. There was a >problem that the front diffs were taking out the clutch pack. If they >did do your clutch pack perhaps they did not set up the preload >properly. Take it to the dealer and they can check to see if the >clutch pack is working correctly. > >FU (like in few) >

My button is marked Auto 4wd and that is where the trouble starts. As to the clutch pack, as I said, they replaced the entire ft differential. And the dealer is the one that is saying there is nothing wrong with it. I think the clutch pack is too tight but they don't see it my way.

> On my 02 Silverado, when I put it in auto 4wd the front tires try to >> keep going ahead on a slow sharp corner. Like it's pushing them >> straight ahead instead of letting them turn. On Ice or snow it's very >> hard to get it to turn. It's almost as if it's in 4wheel lock. It >> didn't do this until they replaced the front 3rd member because of >> bearing noise. The dealer says it's because I have a locking rear >> axle. But I have driven other p.u.'s just like it and I didn't get >> that. Does anyone have any ideas? >> >> >> Chuck

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Chuck, yeh that is the same button. There are a few things that you may want to look at. First check the fluid in your transfer case. It should be blue in color. Uses blue fluid Autotrak II. If black or burnt smelling could of fried when front diff went out. If red then has wrong fluid in it. If you have not done yet you can try changing the fluid and see if that helps. Takes 2 quarts. Fluid has special friction motifiers for the clutch to work properly. Uusally you get more of shudder when turning if fluid bad.

Another is, have you ever changed your fluid in your locking rear diff. If you look in the owners manual if was suppose to be changed. Again uses friction modifiers to let your locking diff slip when turning.

And then another is that you can ask the dealer if they put synthetic (sp) in your front diff. If you live in a real cold climate normal diff fluid is too thick and your clutch pack maybe trying to overcome the fluid. You could have that changed if see if works.

If still problem then tell dealer to hook up Tech 2 and drive and see how the clutch pack is operating.

FU (like few)

Reply to
Fu Dollars