micra clutch adjustment

Hi,

I am trying to adjust the clutch on a UK 2004 Micra 1.2. I cannot see how to do this as when I look under the bonnet I can't see the clutch cable.

On previous generation micras I have been able to do this easily as the clutch cable and adjusting nuts are clearly visible.

Anyone know how to do this, or do I need to go to a dealer?

Thanks in advance

rk

Reply to
rk164

from memory I think the newer micras have a hydraulic system as opposed to the old cable system, so no adjustment can be made, if you are finding the clutch is slipping a replacement might be in order, your local garage will be able to tell you this.

Reply to
reg

Its not slipping, but I am finding that the clutch does not bite until the pedal is almost at the end of its travel. Is this a sign that the clutch is on its way out?

Thanks

rk

Reply to
rk164

This is very possible. There should be some free play. If there isn't then the clutch is likely to suffer. No free play is like driving with your foot on the pedal slightly.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

i would need to ask questions about ones driving style if after 1 year you're finding issues with your clutch.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Not a very nice comment, nor very helpful - unpleasant, even.

If it is a hydraulic clutch, it could very easily need bleeding/have a faulty cylinder etc..

Since the car is so young, a more pertinent comment might be to have it looked at under warranty.

Reply to
R. Murphy

The car is in fact about a week old in my ownership bought used from a dealer with 9k miles. The car got a service before I picked it up and I had asked for the clutch to be adjusted. I was told that they took a look but it was ok.

Reply to
rk164

Even more reason to take it back because

a) These things I think have a 3 year warranty

b) If a Nissan dealer theres a special Nissan used car warranty

c) You pointed it out to them and its still wrong!

Dealer should sort it, im ,y view, whichever way you look at it.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Yes it is a Nissan dealer.

Problem is they have already said there is nothing wrong, as I suspect if they agreed they would bear the cost of fixing it. Any suggestions on how I can convince them?

Reply to
rk164

i would have said you have the " sales of goods " act on your side, try to get in contact with Nissan UK.

Reply to
reg

This is always a problem isn't it - but perhaps you might try another tack ..

Have you driven a similar car, and is it the same as yours? - Someone you know, perhaps, or you might try and ask the dealer if you could compare your car with one of their other cars off the forecourt.

If not, then you could point it out to the dealer - especially if the comparison car was one of their own stock. As for the bearing the cost - I don't think its any skin of their nose, they will offset the cost against Nissan or some sort of warranty insurance.

If other cars are the same as yours, then well - it could be that there is not a problem, but that it is a characteristic of the car.?.

Either way you have a long warranty I suspect, and you could always prove later that you did flag the fault with them at an early stage (which you would probably need to do under the terms of the warranty).

Another thing you could do is have an independent check done - AA or RAC might do it, but it would cost a few bob.

Whichever way you look at it, peace of mind is priceless ..

Reply to
R. Murphy