Re: Perhaps somehas an idea about this odd 2001 GMC Jimmy issue - Thxs to all who read/answer

Bust the dealer's balls and have them keep the truck for a few days while the rental car that your warranty provides takes you from point A to point B. Your warranty DOES cover the cost of a rental, right?

If not, rent the car and when the dealers wrenches find out how screwy the wiring is, make them reimburse you, because that's ridiculous!

Sam

> > Hi all.. > > > I bought a new 2001 GMC Jimmy 4WD in Nov 2000. Today, it still only > has 23000 miles on it. This vehicle has had continuing electyrical > problems from new as follows: > > 1. Going over even a small bump (aka even a slight "crack in the > road" as SLOW speed (1 mph) may cause ALL of the dash warning lamps to > come on....for about 10 seconds ...exactly in the manner as they > appear when the vehicle is started. This does NOT cause the engine to > stall. > > It would seem (to me) to indicate an intermittant connection feeding > power to the computer...which likely controls the sequence of lights > at startup. A very short power interruption...long enoughjt to > trigger the diag-sequcne, not long enough for the engine to stops. > > IDEAS? > > > 2. Problem 2 (may or not be related)....On June 5l of this year, one > morning the vehicle started, but as soon as I let got of the key, a > few seconds later it stalled. This repeated 10-12 times. Finally, I > managed to keep it going, then it seemed ok. Made an appointment for > service for the next day, but after driving about 10 miles (3 stops) I > came to a traffic light and the engine at about 10 mph speed) stopped. > At that moment, I had ZERO electrical power, so I could not even use > the e. flashers, or even move the shifte (A/T) to remove my KEY! > > No chance...the dealer (4 miles away) refused to tow the car (!!!!!) > or even call GM road-side assistance. Finally, the police came along > and called a tow which cost $100- and should have been freee via GM! > The dealer is still fighting about paying for this! > > In any case, the battery was dead...they replaced the alternator (the > second replacement in 23K miles!). > > The car drove ok for 400 miles (2 weeks). On June 24, the car started > normally in the AM. I drove about 8 miles, with about 4 stops. ON > trying to start (5th start of the day), the car started, but as soon > as I released the key it quickly stumbled and died. This repeated 5 > more times, including once when while the negine was running, all > warning lamps came (as per usual start sequence). > > Finally...I gave up and had the car towed back to the dealer again. > Of coursem, this took a few hours and by then the vehicle started > ok!!!!!!!! > > > ANY IDEAS............. > > > Thanks for help, comments etc.
Reply to
GaWd

Have the dealer change the ing switch, and inspect the bulk head connector pins. Its either one of those two places I suspect. And the dealer should cover it if its under warranty.

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Dash lights came on in my 2000 Silverado sort of like you describe. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the ignition switch. Problem solved.

Good luck. Karl

Reply to
Karl Eltzroth

You should have called Roadside assistance YOURSELF, and request that it be towed to a different dealer because the first one couldn't fix it correctly.

Jerry H. -- retired GMC sales manager

Reply to
Jerry Hamilton

I had the exact same problem with my 1999 tahoe. I removed the battery terminals and they were badly corroded. A simple scraping with a pocket knife and then a baking soda and water bath to polish the connections. walla walla, perfect starts, runs forever and cheap. The battery never failed to start the vehicle, so i never thought the battery terminals were that bad. WRONG!!!!

So clean them and go driving. john

Reply to
johnny