Rebuild or replace for performance? 302 88 Stang

Would it be wiser for me to upgrade my fairly new basic crate 302 engine with a new cam, aluminum heads, rockers, or just buy a whole new one? (intake would be done either way and I allready have that in box waiting).

I figure $200 for cam, $1400 for aluminum heads, $200 for rockers and labor perhaps $1,000= $2,800. I was thinking B cam, AFR heads, 1.7 rockers. HP gains I am not sure anyone do this or estimate? Be nice to have close too

300hp at least.

Cost of a new crate motor I have no idea, then installation if anyone has any references please post. Hp would vary on applications anyone can mention. I saw the Ford crates are 345hp but have no clue costs. Also if there are better sources for performance engine would like to know. want to stick to a 302 block, if its stroked, bored out doesnt matter. Just figuring out costs and benefits of each thing atm.

Thanks everyone just tossing this up now for consideration.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

If your short block is still in good shape, no sense replacing it.

With the parts you mention, you should be pushing around 375-400hp. Depending on how good the tuner is.

Reply to
.boB

Nick, An '88 isn't going to like a 'B' cam, unless it's a California mass air car. A few years ago we experimented with an '88 coupe to see what the SD system would tolerate. A set of 1.7s, Y303 heads w/pocket porting and Explorer intake worked really well. We were going to try an 'E' cam (still had to pass emissions), but got an offer we couldn't refuse for the car and it was gone.

Other mods were MAC shortys, 4.10s and a wide ratio gearset w/manual lock-up to the automatic. It ran 13.7s in the high 90s. Street manners were good and MPG tolerable.

Brad

Reply to
bradtx

Hi Brad,

I apologize I didnt mention I did a Cobra mass air kit upgrade to this car (24lb injectors). I also have a powerdyne s/c 6lb pulley 11lb in the works. Not sure which cam was best for the s/c but would make sure that was in place too. Other then that aluminum driveshaft, aluminium flywheel, short throw shifter, 3 core rad, stock 3.08 gears and its an ASC McLaren.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

Nick, Man I love ASC's, post a pic. Or upload a pic to FordMuscle.com reader's cars, I'd like to see it.

In terms of your plans, I think a set of AFR 165's would be wise. You could stick 1.7's on your stock cam and with the blower you will have more power than you know what to do with. If you want over 300 to the wheels naturally aspirated you ought to consider a Crane 2030 or 2040 cam, or a Comp extreme energy, something in the mid 220's duration and .520 lift. Buy the cam before you decide on 1.7 rockers, as the combination of both may cause piston to valve clearance.

Here is my 93 cobra motor with afr heads and the dyno results:

FordMuscle

Nice website and thanks for the advice. Your car is beautiful! I will definately post some pics when I either take some new ones or fix my PC. Working off of my laptop for the moment. IMT I do have some pics on the sites mentioned below as well as so many other nice cars from the Capri hatchback or Mustang / Capri Roadsters. Anyone is welcome to lurk or join.

Nick :)

Members group

site with pics

Nicholas Anthony