Rebuild and upgrade vs. Crate motor

I own a 91 c1500, extended cab, long box with a 5.7 and 4spd auto with a

3.08 rear end. The engine has roughly 245000km on it and is burning quite a bit of oil and is low on compression on one cylinder. The truck is in excellent shape otherwise, and with the price of new vehicles these days...you get the picture.

I would either like to freshen this engine and upgrade it somewhat or buy a good performing crate motor. I am mechanically enclined and would not hesitate to do all the work myself.

1.What can I expect the basic refresh to cost and what do you think it should include - I would start with rings, honing if the cyl's are not to badly scratched, timing chain and gears, perhaps lifters and a cam and maybe an oil pump - what do you think?
  1. What upgrades would you recommend? I have been considering Edlebrock heads - what else offers a fair performance gain for the dollar? Turbo??? Chip?
  2. Would all of the above be unnecessary if I were to buy a crate engine? If so, why and which do you recommend?

Please keep this in mind - I tow a 30' Travel trailer during the summer months and believe I would be better of with a good increase in torque rather than horsepower - maybe a good combination of both.

Thanks in advance Kevin

Reply to
KV

a crate engine and a NEW radiator would be my choice

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

"Gary Glaenzer"

A place to start to get an idea of the freshen up idea.:

HDS

Well the easy way to get the better torque numbers is to go to a larger engine. So I would say build the current engine into a 383 with a kit. More torque and a few more ponies. Or if you want to go with a crate

383. Either one would be worth it. Also a new larger radiator and a good trans cooler wouldn't hurt. Run synthetic oil/gear oil/trans juice.
Reply to
Steve W.

I see that most people are for crate motors these days which is fine cause that just means there are alot more perfectly rebuildable motors I can buy. A 383 would be a good choice or staying with the 350 is good also. There are lots of different little things that will change your power. I mainly run the sb400's and 350's and both have more than enough to tow your trailer. an average rebuild is gonna cost you about 1500. The last time I got a long block I think it was about 1600. Price difference isn't much but if you rebuild you get to choose what parts your motor has in it.

side

Reply to
sidewinder